PDA

View Full Version : Windows not starting after HDD moved to new computer

Dannz
20-12-2005, 10:20 AM
Hi All
I just moved a hard drive from an older computer to a newer computer for a friend.
As soon as windows starts loading the computer resets

How can i fix this short of reinstalling which would be a major pain because i would have to backup everything.

Thanks
Daniel

CYaBro
20-12-2005, 10:30 AM
If the machines have different chipsets on the mainboard then this is what will happen.
You may need to do a repair install of Windows. This is reinstall Windows over the top and won't wipe any data.

Dannz
20-12-2005, 10:35 AM
How to i reinstall? - it tells me stuff about loosing data etc if i install it again.

CYaBro
20-12-2005, 11:16 AM
Is it Windows XP?
If yes then boot off the CD as normal.
At the first screen you get the option of Installing Windows or pressing R for the Recovery Console.
Select to install Windows as normal then you should get the EULA and have to press F8 to continue.
At the next screen it should say it's searching for existing copies of Windows then it should give you the option of pressing R to do a repair install or press ESC to do a new install.
Press R at this screen and it should start reinstalling Windows as normal.

IF YOU GET THE SCREEN THAT HAS OPTIONS FOR CHOOSING THE HDD / PARTITION YOU WANT TO INSTALL ONTO DO NOT CONTINUE BECAUSE IT MEANS THAT IT GOING TO WIPE THE HDD!

kingdragonfly
20-12-2005, 11:39 AM
Before you attempt any repairs, put your hard drive in your old PC and backup important files. There's various USB drives, CD, DVD solutions for backing up.

An "in-place" migratation of your hard drive from one PC to another is not a good idea. At the best, you'll probably wind up with a less reliable PC. At worst, you can toast your drive's contents.

A fresh install will clean up all the random garbage that accumulates on any Windows PC.

Billy T
20-12-2005, 01:11 PM
Put it back in the old computer, back up all data, then follow the advice previously offered by Terry Porrit:

Go to Device Manager, and remove EVERY single device from there, including all the PCI stuff, every bit, mouse last of all. Don't let the stripped down drive boot into windows while it is attached to the old computer or it will put all the devices back again.

(Courtesy of wintertide, an easier way to delete everything out of Device Manager than going through it manually is to go into regedit and delete the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ENUM key. This erases the entire Device Manager.)

When the drive is put back in the new machine and booted, Windows will re-detect all the hardware.

Have driver disks handy in case required.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Dannz
20-12-2005, 01:34 PM
Thats probably why ive been having trouble getting devices to work - ill do that now

Metla
20-12-2005, 01:43 PM
XP will start reinstalling the devices without a reboot, So manually stripping the device manager doesn't work.

I tried removing that listed reg entry once before, It didn't do anything, Though I may have muffed it.

The only reasonable way I can see to transfer a HD with XP installed is to do a dirty install on first boot, Anything else brings issues, either now or later.

As for a dirty install, If you get to the part that lists your partitions, then you have muffed it, stop there and you can go back and start over, If you follow through then well.....you will see.

This is what brings me to the driver cleaner provided by Leadtek, When I used it it wiped out the device manager (and speedie had the same experience) I have been meaning to try using this on a transfer, Run the app, shut down, transfer drive, let it find all the new hardware.

So far only held back by finding a suiatble subject to test it on, A customers comp isn't really a good target :cool:

Dannz
20-12-2005, 01:49 PM
Im going to just format and re isntall - it doesnt like networking and some other things.

Terry Porritt
20-12-2005, 02:12 PM
Those instructions about removing devices from Device Manager were for Win9x, not XP.

For XP I have used this successfully several times:

http://www.brienposey.com/kb/Moving_Windows_XP_to_new_hardware.asp

Metla
20-12-2005, 02:25 PM
Ah, Oh well, It would be madness to move a 98 install into a system built out of current hardware, and depending on what you delete in the device manager the system will do an instant reboot anyhow.

Not to say its a bad idea, but not how I would go about it, 98 can usually sustain a transfer if all your wanting to do is grab some data held by the OS, and if its longterm then a reinstall is still the best bet, complete format and install if performance and stability are a desired state....