PDA

View Full Version : D-Link DSL-G604T questions

splatman41
19-12-2005, 11:21 PM
I have two questions about the D-Link DSL-G604T (http://www.ascent.co.nz/ProductSpecification.aspx?ItemID=9280331) ADSL modem (link ---->Ascent).

1. For this I see two different possibilities

a) This modem is ALWAYS ONLINE, so do you program your xtra username and password into it so any device you plug into it will be able to connect to the internet

b)Every Device (PC as example) will have to connect separately e.g. PC users have to go to Network Connections >> <internet connection name> >> put in password and hit "dial" (because I currently have a USB ADSL modem and it is listed in Windows as a Dial up connection)

2. Will this modem be compatible with Xbox Live (and xbox 360 Live)?
I plan on connecting the xbox via ethernet cable directly to one of the ports on the rear of the console.

Please help
thanks,
splatman41

CYaBro
20-12-2005, 08:32 AM
1 a) Correct. When you first set it up you will have to put in your username and password and save them. Just need to remember that for ADSL connections the username is in a different format than if you are using dialup. i.e. with xtra if your username is joebloggs then you will put joebloggs.xadsl@xtra.co.nz into the router.

b) No, once the router and each PC is setup correctly, you just open your internet browser, email program or whatever and it will be connected to the net straight away. No need to put a password in on each PC. They just need to be setup to get an IP address automatically from the router.

2) Yes, should be no problems using the XBox with it.

splatman41
20-12-2005, 11:37 AM
Thankyou very much for your help. It is greatly appreciated.

So now to ascent to buy this modem.