PDA

View Full Version : Export video through IEEE-1394

imarubberducky
19-12-2005, 02:23 PM
I'm looking for a program that will allow me to export video through IEEE-1394 (firewire) to my DVD/VHS recorder. My recorder does have a 1394 input, but is designed to be connected to camera, whereas I want to connect it to my computer.

Does anyway know of a program that will allow me to stream a video file through firewire?

Speedy Gonzales
19-12-2005, 02:32 PM
Have you got a firewire card, to see if it works / detects the DVD recorder in Windows (If u use XP)?

If u have a firewire card and Moviemaker, have u tried it thu Moviemaker?

Or Nero?

imarubberducky
19-12-2005, 03:08 PM
My laptop has inbuilt firewire, but it doesn't detect the DVD/VHS recorder (This a DVD/VHS recorder designed for a TV, rather than an external DVD writer for a computer, btw).

Moviemaker is designed to send to a DV camera, same with Pinnacle Studio, so they both don't attempt to send the video through firewire when no camera is connected.

I don't have Nero installed.

kingdragonfly
19-12-2005, 03:11 PM
I suspect the 1394 connector on your camera is using a proprietary format. Firewire as a technology never gained much popularity in WinTel PC's.

Hauppauge makes high quality hardware based MPEG encoders, up to 12Mb/sec, at a good price. If you use S-Video, it's should be very good quality.

Speedy Gonzales
19-12-2005, 03:16 PM
There is no camera. Its a DVD recorder.

I would check google or yahoo.

See if it can connect to something other than a DV Cam.

If it doesnt work in Wndows / if Windows doesn't detect it, if u connect it to the onboard firewire, there's no way a program will see it.

imarubberducky
19-12-2005, 04:59 PM
There is no camera. Its a DVD recorder.

I would check google or yahoo.

See if it can connect to something other than a DV Cam.

If it doesnt work in Wndows / if Windows doesn't detect it, if u connect it to the onboard firewire, there's no way a program will see it.

I understand that. What i want is a program to "send/stream" a video file out of my 1394 connection. Just like Windows can send audio out of the audio socket, regardless of whether there are speakers connected or not.

Unfortuntly google isn't being my friend right now.

maccrazy
19-12-2005, 05:24 PM
So basically you need your computer to act like a video camera so that your DVD recorder will import the content in the same way. I'm pretty sure Final Cut Pro 5 (http://www.apple.com/finalcutstudio/finalcutpro/) can do it on a Mac (though I can't test it because I don't have a set-top DVD recorder) so I'm sure that there is some equivalent for Windows based computers (maybe Adobe Premier (http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere/main.html)???). Looking through the FCP preferences, it looks like you are going to need an application that will print to video with Firewire DV. I'm not 100% sure though. :)

Graham L
19-12-2005, 05:32 PM
LIke USB, Firewire is a "master/slave" data transfer protocol. Normally, the computer will be master, with a camera (e.g.) as the slave. Your recorder has a similar relationship with a camera. So when you connect the recorder and a computer, they are both trying to be master in the data transfer protocol. So the computer can't see any slave device. ;)

It ought to be possible to do this. I don't think MS have done anything to prevent it with DRM. :groan: But they don't provide the facility. Have a look to see if the Linux people have done this. :cool: Often useful Linux things have been well enough written that they can be compiled for the Windows platform too.