PDA

View Full Version : New PC Overheating ... freezing on Windows XP Pro Splash Screen ..??

sweetinnocence
19-12-2005, 01:32 PM
Hi There

I'm having a intimitent freezing on Windows XP splash screen problem and was wondering if someone could please stare me in the right direct of what could be causing this, it happens when turning on from cold.... CPU is mounted correctly with 775 heatsink n fan, as i did this before i inserted it into the case.

I've just built a new PC with the following spec:

* In-win case with 300W PSU (Intel TAC 1.1) - one rear fan, one fan pointing down from PSU over CPU.
* Intel D945GTP (MicroATX mobo) ... Intel 945 Chipset
* P4 3.4GHZ (#650) Single Core CPU
* 512MB X 2 (1024MB) DDR2-533 running in single channel as both modules are different (one double sided the other single)
* Gigabyte 128MB GeForce 6600GT PCI-Express graphics card.
* 120GB Western Digital SATA 2 (Sata 3 g/b sec) hard drive.
* BENQ LightScribe DVD Writer.
* a floppy drive from old PC which DOESN'T WORK, but seems to be detected ...

Running Win XP Pro SP 2...

I had P4 3.0GHZ #830 - Dual Core processor in it which was reading at 80C+ just idling, so i sent this back with overheating issues

The P4 3.4GHZ #650 speedstep actived runs idle at 45C

With the dual core processor it would freeze on the Windows XP splash screen also, so changing the CPU over made no difference.

I'm not getting any blue screens or freezing once i successfully boot into Windows, just freezing on the splash screen.

Any help appreciated,
thanks in advance.

Metla
19-12-2005, 01:53 PM
PSU.

Sb0h
19-12-2005, 01:57 PM
Yep, get a better PSU. It's a power problem, not overheating.

sweetinnocence
19-12-2005, 02:39 PM
thanks for your replies ....

yea i was wondering whether it was something to do with the PSU, but as it was only happening around every 3 - 4 or so boot i couldn't be sure. I haven't had any issues with the Inwin PSUs before, think it could be faulty?? or just not enough power..... cos it was doing this before i installed the 6600gt video card just with using the onboard intel 950. It's the second PC i have built with the similar configuration, the first one, not a problem .....

Sb0h
19-12-2005, 02:46 PM
Could be just a dodgy unit.

kingdragonfly
19-12-2005, 02:51 PM
If it's freezing on the splash screen, I suspect it's a driver problem or RAM problem, though in theory the startup inrush amps to the HDD could be a possibility.

You may want to use memtest86 to test your RAM. It's a freeware bootable CD, and easy to find on the Internet.

When it comes to driver, it most often video cards that cause problems. I would suggest temporarily removing your video card, and running off the internal Intel video for a little while.

Of course the video card sucks juice also, so even if the problem goes away it may not be the video card / driver.

Metla
19-12-2005, 03:04 PM
thanks for your replies ....

yea i was wondering whether it was something to do with the PSU, but as it was only happening around every 3 - 4 or so boot i couldn't be sure.

The fact that it happened intermitently and only from cold boot (Correct?) is exactly why I would suggest its the PSU. Pretty commen behaviour for them when they are starting to give trouble.

You can lighten the load on the PSU to see if the problem goes away, Mine gave out last week but by unplugging my optical drives,secondary harddrives,Unplugging the power cable to my video card (they recomend against this) and removing all my PCI cards I was up and running again, Done fine untill my replacment PSU arrived, but being a cheap bastard and ignoring the very same advice I give out I grabbed a $25 jobby, It lasted 3 days......

...I now have the original faulty item installed and all my junk unplugged again....

Muhahahahaha

Jen
19-12-2005, 05:37 PM
* a floppy drive from old PC which DOESN'T WORK, but seems to be detected ...Why put a dud floppy drive in the machine? Remove it and then disable the floppy drive in the BIOS. If you are already troubleshooting a fault, it is best to remove anything that is known to have problems ...

sweetinnocence
19-12-2005, 06:12 PM
yea i didn't know the floppy drive had failed (when i built it) until the other day when i went to use it, cos it hadn't been used for a long while.

pctek
19-12-2005, 07:14 PM
I haven't had any issues with the Inwin PSUs before, think it could be faulty?? or just not enough power.....
Its nasty. And underpowered.