PDA

View Full Version : Amount of Ram being used.

MMM
19-12-2005, 12:30 PM
I have a laptop with 512mg Ram + WinXP SP1. Have attached an external keyboard which I alternate with my IBM PC.
I am now going to attach the IBM monitor to my laptop so that I can get a better view of actual colours in the pictures when doing image editing.

Will these external items chew up my Ram leaving very little left to run Photoshop Elements 4.0?

If so, I'll remove the external keyboard and do some serious pruning in my Task Manager processes. Will also stop the realtime checking by Avast, but only while editing.

Is there anything else I should do to ensure I have plenty of Ram to play with? Can't afford to go up to 1G of Ram at this point in time.
Cheers

sweetinnocence
19-12-2005, 12:47 PM
:) any external devices like keyboards, mice, monitors don't use extra RAM, these are just output devices.

i've trialed nearly every anti virus program out there, including Avast, and find AVG 7.1 (it's free) the best.... it uses next to no resources and doesn't seem to be effected the same as those like Norton AV when a virus hits, NAV seems to turn itself inside out and closes itself or disables. If you wish to change to AVG you can download it from http://free.grisoft.com download this first, then make sure you uninstall Avast first then reboot before installing AVG.

512MB is heaps on win xp service pack 1, service pack 2 uses more RAM because of the added security.

check for viruses + spyware as well as any running processes like these slow a machine down conciderably, the best one is MS AntiSpyware (type this into google.co.nz search engine) it does run on startup but could save you some grief it's as good as AdAware Personal SE, only difference is it runs on start up and stops bad stuff from installing when you are surfing the net or installing programs from downloads that have third party programs like SaveNow.

Go to RUN on your start menu and type in MSCONFIG, under the Start Up menu uncheck things, if things don't work you can always go back in and reenable them.... make sure you don't uncheck your anti virus program.

When you've restarted your computer, click OK to the selective start message ...

kingdragonfly
19-12-2005, 02:03 PM
Two services "Themes" and "Indexing service" suck up serious RAM. I'd advise disabling them.

Right-click on "My computer" and choose Manage. Under services, set the startup type to "disabled." If you find you need them, just change the startup type back to its original value, probably "automatic."

And before I get a deluge of response saying you need these services, I say "Phooey! Phooey on you and your ancestors."

MMM
19-12-2005, 03:58 PM
Thanks sweetinnocence and kingdragonfly. Glad to know the extra devices won't drain the ram. Used to use AVG and loved it till the next new version got ****ty about checking my emails. Replaced it with Avast and all is ok.

My processes in task manager jumped from 36 up to 43 when I installed Photoshop Elements and Adobe reader 7.0. Have to keep themes as I've got the UXThemes patch installed and don't want to go back to boring Windows themes. But will probably ditch the Indexing service as have read on the net that is isn't a necessary one to keep going. And as you say, I can ennable those I remove anyway.

My laptop is running fast, but I knew once I started playing around with editing photos it would soon run a lot slower. Decided to take action before getting into it.
Thanks.