PDA

View Full Version : Domain Names

Myth
19-12-2005, 10:45 AM
Is it possible to buy a domain name outright, or do you have to register it and pay a yearly fee.
Who does one see about this sort of stuff.

Help and Recommendations please :)

stu161204
19-12-2005, 11:04 AM
Is it possible to buy a domain name outright, or do you have to register it and pay a yearly fee.

Hello Tazz :)

Yep, you do have to register it and pay a yearly fee.

What type of domain name are you looking for a .nz or a .com?

Who does one see about this sort of stuff.

I can help you :)

Myth
19-12-2005, 12:26 PM
Hello Tazz :)

Yep, you do have to register it and pay a yearly fee.

What type of domain name are you looking for a .nz or a .com?

I can help you :)Check your PM I have further questions there :)

Greg
19-12-2005, 12:38 PM
The domain name is never actually owned outright by you, but is registered in your name until you release it, for which you pay an annual fee. It's kind of like a lease.

Outfits like FreeParking (http://www.freeparking.co.nz) are great.

Also some ISP's can do this for you... Orcon (http://www.orcon.net.nz) are excellent, but some are expensive, eg Xtra.

stu161204
19-12-2005, 01:24 PM
Check your PM I have further questions there :)

maccrazy
19-12-2005, 03:39 PM
Also some ISP's can do this for you... Orcon are excellent, but some are expensive, eg Xtra.Honestly, don't go to your ISP for things like this. ISP's are for internet access, registrars are for domain names and hosts are for hosting. There is some overlap but there are very few companies that do a good job of all three. For domain names I would highly recommend GoDaddy (http://www.godaddy.com), they sell .co.nz domains now as well. Definitely don't buy a .com from a New Zealand registrar, it's like throwing your money down the drain. :)

Metla
19-12-2005, 04:42 PM
http://www.kiwiwebhost.co.nz/

Good value hosting, Tight support, 99 percent uptime, NZ company, $39.95 per year domain name registration.

Support local companies when you can, Enough of our hard earned money goes into overseas pockets.

maccrazy
19-12-2005, 05:08 PM
Support local companies when you can, Enough of our hard earned money goes into overseas pockets.I fully agree with you when local companies are competitive, but I think for many their business model is based on the fact so many people are technology illiterate they really won't know the difference anyway. From their site:

The domain will be registered within 24 hours and should be active within 96 hours. $39.95 + GST will be added to your bill.First, it shouldn't take 96 hours - that's four whole days - before you can access your domain and second, why would you pay NZ$45 for a .com when you can pay ~NZ$13 overseas? Unlike services such as hosting and ADSL where a difference in price can signal better support or faster, less overloaded servers, there is absolutely no difference between domain name registrars except for their control panel (which you only see rarely when you want to change details associated with your domain). :)

Metla
19-12-2005, 06:32 PM
Because I preref to suport the local economy, The service is excellent, and the price is fine. Though I would be interested in where I can register a .co.nz domain for $13 bucks a year.

With all the sites I have registered I have had access within a couple of hours, I would imagine they have listed 4 days as a worst case sceniro, Most probally due to a 3rd party.

Anyhow, We have had this discussion before and we don't agree, I go local when I can, the more local the better, even if it does cost more.....within reason of course....But 30 odd dollars spread over the year?, Hell, I blow double that when I call into the local for a quiet ale, Spend triple that when I take Mrs Metla out for a meal, Quadruledruple that when the mighty Falcon develops yet another fault.....

maccrazy
19-12-2005, 06:40 PM
Though I would be interested in where I can register a .co.nz domain for $13 bucks a year.I was referring to .com domains with that statement. If you want a .co.nz, then yes, it is going to cost you more regardless of where you register it.

Anyhow, We have had this discussion before and we don't agree, I go local when I can, the more local the better, even if it does cost more.....within reason of course....We have? You're right though, Tazz should have enough information now to make an informed decision. :)

stu161204
19-12-2005, 08:43 PM
Tazz should have enough information now to make an informed decision. :)

In that case I wont waste my time replying to Tazz PM as you guys have coved every thing that was in his pm.

Organicpete
20-12-2005, 01:33 AM
Because I preref to suport the local economy, The service is excellent, and the price is fine. .....and.....
I go local when I can, the more local the better, even if it does cost more.....within reason of course....But 30 odd dollars spread over the year?, Hell, I blow double that when I call into the local for a quiet ale, Spend triple that when I take Mrs Metla out for a meal, Quadruledruple that when the mighty Falcon develops yet another fault.....

yep act local :)

$120 fixes a falcon !?
heck, whos yer mechanic :)

Pete

Metla
20-12-2005, 01:38 AM
I took it to Wanganui Motors for a service and it cost two and a half grand, Damn near checked myself into counselling after that fiasco.

Beer helped.

Greg
20-12-2005, 02:27 AM
Definitely don't buy a .com from a New Zealand registrar, it's like throwing your money down the drain. :)Rubbish. Orcon do an excellent job of on-selling .com addresses.

Rob99
20-12-2005, 03:45 AM
Orcon do an excellent jobLOL

Myth
20-12-2005, 10:09 AM
Okay thanx all :)
This gives me something to think about over Xmas/New Year

MyHost
20-12-2005, 11:30 AM
First, it shouldn't take 96 hours - that's four whole days - before you can access your domainI'd guess they're just covering themselves there, rather than actually taking 96 hours. It's not that long ago that domains were far less predictable than today. I remember waiting as long as a week for a domain to resolve correctly... Thankfully those days are all but over :)

maccrazy
20-12-2005, 07:48 PM
That may be the case, but it does give potential customers a bad impression, especially when they are paying three to four times as much as elsewhere. :)

Okay thanx all
This gives me something to think about over Xmas/New YearGood luck. Let us know if you have any other questions. :)

Sultan_Emerr
20-12-2005, 08:06 PM
You could always help out us Islanders, and use dot.tk (http://www.dot.tk)