PDA

View Full Version : GMail Problem??

Poppa John
18-12-2005, 08:12 PM
Hi All. A few days ago I joined GMail. Since then I have got more Spam than usual. Is this a coincidence ?? PJ

The_End_Of_Reality
18-12-2005, 08:22 PM
I have had my account since the start of October and I have not had any spam. :D

what sort of things are these?

Just a question but you didn't sign up to anything did you? :p

bob_doe_nz
18-12-2005, 08:22 PM
It might depend on how long your gmail name is as well as the simplicity of the name

Pauline
18-12-2005, 08:55 PM
Hi,
I've had my Gmail account since 30/8/04 & I think I've had 2 bits of spam.
As bob says it maybe to do with what you have made your account name.
Pauline.

Metla
18-12-2005, 09:02 PM
I signed up a Gmail account a week ago,and immediatly forgot the name of the account and the password....

Guess I will never know if it attracts spam or not.

Poppa John
18-12-2005, 09:05 PM
It's like this XXXX.XXXXXXXXX@ First name & surname. Made up, not my own. PJ

Poppa John
18-12-2005, 09:09 PM
I have had my account since the start of October and I have not had any spam. :D

I cannot give you an example, but different to what I would get from Xtra. I did not open them as I did not recognise the names. PJ

Renmoo
18-12-2005, 09:14 PM
Once upon a time, I logged into Microsoft's FTP using my gmail account as password. Few days later, Nigeria mail scam starts to flow into my spam...

Cheers :)

Poppa John
18-12-2005, 09:37 PM
Once upon a time, I logged into Microsoft's FTP using my gmail account as password. Few days later, Nigeria mail scam starts to flow into my spam...

We get these now & again as well. PJ

Poppa John
18-12-2005, 09:38 PM

I have joined "Limewire" would that do it. PJ

Poppa John
18-12-2005, 09:39 PM
I signed up a Gmail account a week ago,and immediatly forgot the name of the account and the password....

Guess I will never know if it attracts spam or not.

Metla. You're NOT serious???? PJ

Renmoo
18-12-2005, 09:46 PM
PJ. Since your gmail account is attracting so much of spam, why not create another new one instead?

Poppa John
18-12-2005, 09:46 PM
Metla.. Do you get any Spam at all? By Spam I mean those unsolicitated offers for various medications, etc. I think some of mine come thro Orcon. My Free email provider. PJ

Poppa John
18-12-2005, 09:50 PM
PJ. Since your gmail account is attracting so much of spam, why not create another new one instead?

I WILL give that some thought. PJ

godfather
18-12-2005, 10:27 PM
I have joined "Limewire" would that do it. PJ

Sooo...

You have joined a P2P application to share what type of files PJ?

We all hope it's not copyrighted music, as our collective morality would have to ensure that you are immediately reported to the authorities and spend Xmas on remand ....

And my Gmail accounts collect a minimum of Spam, as I never use them as an email address, only as a repository of files (auto backup of all incoming emails).

Rob99
18-12-2005, 11:14 PM
Never had spam in the inbox, just the spam folder, getting about 5 per day, just ignore or delete.

Poppa John
19-12-2005, 10:04 AM
Limewire has gone. gf has scared me half to death. It wasn't ME anyway. PJ

Thanks for all the help. I will persevere. PJ

SurferJoe46
19-12-2005, 12:16 PM
Limewire has gone. gf has scared me half to death. It wasn't ME anyway. PJ

Thanks for all the help. I will persevere. PJ

I use my first and last names seperated by a dot ( . )and I get very little spam..but GMail filters it anyway...it's kinda fun to be popular.

There are a few other ways to foil spam on GMail...use the underscore ( _ ) between your first and last name, or another symbol. I like the little mark over the backslash ( | ). It works too as a spacer in the name and it is a lot harder for spambots to find your address that way.

Poppa John
19-12-2005, 05:27 PM
I use my first and last names seperated by a dot ( . )and I get very little spam..but GMail filters it anyway...it's kinda fun to be popular.

There are a few other ways to foil spam on GMail...use the underscore ( _ ) between your first and last name, or another symbol. I like the little mark over the backslash ( | ). It works too as a spacer in the name and it is a lot harder for spambots to find your address that way.

Thanks Joe. I DO use same as you , a first namw dot surname. Not my own. Anickname dot townname.

Perhaps I had better do some more research on google antispam. They are a damned nuiscance. PJ

wmoore
19-12-2005, 08:01 PM
I Get 3-4 bits of spam a day which goes into 'Spam' . Two clicks and it's gone.
I do use gmail for signing up to newsgroups etc etc.

Poppa John
19-12-2005, 08:15 PM
I have just installed 'Spamfighter' (approved by Microsoft) any comments ??? PJ