PDA

View Full Version : Audio help

nadan10
18-12-2005, 03:55 PM
My speakers recently broke on my vaio desktop. I replaced the with some polkaudio speakers from my old computer. I brought them down to play half life 2. when i plug them in, the work but are very quiet. What can i do to fix this? They used to work fine. Help! Ive been trying really hard all day...urggg. HELP. :badpc:

Renmoo
18-12-2005, 09:54 PM
Welcome to PF1 :) . How did you determine that your speakers are "broke", as you claimed? Quiet speakers? Try cracking up the volume, either via the speaker itself or from the system. What sound card are you using?

Cheers :)

godfather
18-12-2005, 10:46 PM
The PolkAudio speakers are (in my experience) real speakers that assume the driving hardware contains an amplifier (most PC do not, only providing a "line out" socket).

PolkAudio were often supplied with HP computers that did have a built in amplifiers.

Calling the commonly used "PC Speakers" that contain an amplifier is not really correct, they are "Amplifier/Speakers" that require an external power supply. They are not just "speakers".

Thats the sort you probably need, as if the PolkAudio speakers do not have an amplifier and external power source they may be incorrect for your system, and will sound "quiet" as you describe.

nadan10
19-12-2005, 02:20 AM
Thanks guys! On other forums they just called my noob.... you rock! :)

nadan10
19-12-2005, 02:24 AM
by the way, is there a program i could use to fix this, or am i stuck?

godfather
19-12-2005, 08:18 AM
Its not a "program" you need, its either a set of amplified (powered) speakers or an external amplifier to drive ordinary speakers.

nadan10
19-12-2005, 09:28 AM
I relize that, but I thought there might be a program that could boost the audio inside windows so that I can hear louder.
If there isnt, there should be-you write one.

somebody
19-12-2005, 09:47 AM
The point that Godfather is trying to make is no matter how much you "boost" the audio inside windows, it will not increase the signal going to the speakers. The speakers need a small amplifier to drive them, and that simply cannot be done with software.

The easiest way is to buy a set of cheap powered speakers.

godfather
19-12-2005, 10:29 AM
Exactly
Otherwise its like trying to use a computer to turn a bicycle into a motorcycle, it needs added hardware not just a program.

The hardware for Line Out is not physically capable of providing the power needed to directly drive unamplified speakers.