PDA

View Full Version : Losing Keyboard settings between sessions

Ron_A
18-12-2005, 07:26 AM
Hi I have just upgraded and while it all boots fine into windows, I find that my MS Natural multimedia keyboard will not retain the driver settings between sessions. ie after a restart there is no KB recognised by windows and there is a driver error (Code 10).

The same thing happens with a generic windows driver

I have yet to try an install using safe mode or another keyboard but so far as the latter is concrned, as my KB works fine at the BIOS setup level I don't think its that.

Is there anything I can do BEFORE a completed re-install of the OS??

Please help

TIA

Ron

Microsoft Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 2
MS Office 2003 Professional with up to date service packs
Internet Explorer 6.0.2900.2180 (IE 6.0 SP2)
DirectX 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)
Motherboard:GA-K8N-SLi F2
CPU Athlon64 x2 x4200
Memory 2048 MB (2 * 1GB DDR SDRAM)
BIOS Type Award Modular (07/27/05)
MS Natural multimedia keyboard
MS Intelipoint Pro 2.2 software/drivers

Jen
18-12-2005, 08:39 AM
Go into Safe Mode and once there go to the Device Manager. This is found under Control Panel > System. Sometimes under Safe Mode you can find "ghost" entries for hardware which is not displayed under normal mode. Delete all the keyboard entries and then shut down the computer. Restart back into normal windows and let Windows redetect and install the default keyboard drivers. See if that helps. If there is no keyboard errors, then install the driver which came with the keyboard.

If you are still getting errors, then try a different keyboard.

Ron_A
18-12-2005, 09:35 AM
Hi Jen
Thanks for that and I shall try it.
However I am curious as to how the keyboard is the issue when it works fine at the BIOS and Windows setup screens (ie the latter when I select safe mode)

TIA

Ron

Ron_A
18-12-2005, 10:14 AM
Hi JEn
Just an update - tried your suggestions no ghost entries and no luck so far
Any others or am I faced with an OS reinstall?
Cheers
Ron

FrankS
18-12-2005, 11:29 AM
Presume you have googled Driver Error (Code 10) and followed MS suggestions.
Have similar problem on an old computer, temp below about 19 and KB does'nt come on, after boot complete and a few seconds warmup a reboot brings KB into action. With recent warm weather the KB comes on at first reboot. First time suspected cable, connections etc but almost certain it is a fault in the motherboard and not a driver problem.

B.M.
18-12-2005, 02:23 PM
I seem to recall having a similar problem years ago which turned out to be a sticky key, space bar if I recall correctly. Problem was the computer was trying to shut down and restart with a key stuck down. Seemed to cause some confusion. :)

A change of keyboards should point you in the right direction and is a lot quicker and easier than reloading the OS only to find the fault still exists. :(

Cicero
18-12-2005, 07:10 PM
I seem to recall having a similar problem years ago which turned out to be a sticky key, space bar if I recall correctly. Problem was the computer was trying to shut down and restart with a key stuck down. Seemed to cause some confusion. :)

A change of keyboards should point you in the right direction and is a lot quicker and easier than reloading the OS only to find the fault still exists. :(
Shouldn't a fault show in that case in the device manager?

godfather
18-12-2005, 08:04 PM
If you have upgraded the hardware, but are still using the install of XP that related to the previous hardware, you are asking for trouble.

It will be force feeding all the wrong chipset drivers to the new hardware, usually a recipie for disaster.

A clean install is the only reliable way to go after a hardware upgrade, you could attempt a repair install but no guarantee as to long term reliability.

slivers
28-12-2005, 06:12 PM
Hi I have just upgraded and while it all boots fine into windows, I find that my MS Natural multimedia keyboard will not retain the driver settings between sessions. ie after a restart there is no KB recognised by windows and there is a driver error (Code 10).

The same thing happens with a generic windows driver

I have yet to try an install using safe mode or another keyboard but so far as the latter is concrned, as my KB works fine at the BIOS setup level I don't think its that.

Is there anything I can do BEFORE a completed re-install of the OS??

Please help

TIA

Ron

Microsoft Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 2
MS Office 2003 Professional with up to date service packs
Internet Explorer 6.0.2900.2180 (IE 6.0 SP2)
DirectX 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)
Motherboard:GA-K8N-SLi F2
CPU Athlon64 x2 x4200
Memory 2048 MB (2 * 1GB DDR SDRAM)
BIOS Type Award Modular (07/27/05)
MS Natural multimedia keyboard
MS Intelipoint Pro 2.2 software/drivers

I'm having the same issue I can turn on the keyboard by going into Device manager and disabling and enabling the keyboard again.

I have the same mobo keyboard and OS, I do have a question is your HD a Sata? the keyboard worked when I had my IDE HD as my boot drive but now I have this issue(I did a clean isntallation on the Sata HD).