PDA

View Full Version : Nod 32 question

JJJJJ
18-12-2005, 07:02 AM
I have been useing the paid for version of nod 32 for three weeks now
My comp definately is running faster than when I had NAV.
I am more than happy with it.
One minor matter.I have it set to update itself at 6 am every day and it seems to be doing so. Nav used to notify me every time it self-updated. Nod doesn't. Is this normal? Doubting Thomas that I am always checks to see if update has been done.

When I do a manual virus scan is there anyway to scan just drive C? I can't seem able to stop it scanning drive D as well. D is second Partition on hard drive.
It contains about 20 gigs of compressed and zip files and takes forever to scan.

Final question. Nod always reports several files as "locked" and are not scanned. Is this OK ?

Safari
18-12-2005, 07:33 AM
There is an excellent tutorial at the following link complete with graphics.
Note there are 4 pages to it and should answer all your questions.
To only scan a specific drive is shown on page 2 - this selection is under Scanning Targets tab.
http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=37509

Murray P
18-12-2005, 04:58 PM
One minor matter.I have it set to update itself at 6 am every day and it seems to be doing so. Nav used to notify me every time it self-updated. Nod doesn't. Is this normal? Doubting Thomas that I am always checks to see if update has been done.

I have mine set to notify whenever an update is available, I then give it permission to download and install the update. There is usually at least one per day, but often two, sometimes three or four. Restricting the software to one window per day means you may miss some important (breaking) updates to deal with new virus outbreaks.

When you want to sacn an individual drive, go the the Scanning Targets tab (you may have to "Stop" the scan, but don't "Quite") and select the drive you want to scan. BTW, you can also scan over a network.

Rob99
18-12-2005, 10:28 PM
Mine checks for updates every hour automatically installing the new ones.
You only realy need to do a scan once a month or so, NOD32 wont let anything in, it will stop the nasties at the door, as long as it has all the updates.

Murray P
18-12-2005, 10:37 PM
Mine checks for updates every hour automatically installing the new ones.
You only realy need to do a scan once a month or so, NOD32 wont let anything in, it will stop the nasties at the door, as long as it has all the updates.

So right, I've never picked up anything with a scan, nothing has got past the real time detection. I found plenty by scanning another machine over the network though, one that was running AVG (and no, it wasn't the def's or quarantine that was picked up).

Rob99
18-12-2005, 11:10 PM
It's a fantastic tool for cleaning other peoples computers as well, I put there HD in a USB caddie, full scan/clean it, before I even start to fix there problems.

CYaBro
19-12-2005, 08:23 AM
Nav used to notify me every time it self-updated. Nod doesn't. Is this normal? Doubting Thomas that I am always checks to see if update has been done.

My NOD32 pops up the standard Windows XP bubble above the system tray and says it has been updated. This bubble doesn't stay up for long so maybe you are missing it at 6am??