PDA

View Full Version : Little help with network issue

hotkiwi
17-12-2005, 10:14 PM
Friends,
Please give me a hand with this strange problem.
I use a Belkin pre-N wireless network with a laptop and a desktop computer hanging in it, on the Internet over a Alcatel Speedtouch Pro ADSL modem at 2MB.
It worked a treat till all of a sudden later in the afternoon.
The desktop fell out of the network. It said: limited or no connection..... Now there is only a minimal distance between modem/router and the PC.
I checked the connection and it told me that it did see the network. I decided to reinstall drivers etc etc for the network card. Already during setup I got this icon with the koving bullets, telling me that it is acquiring a network address. THIS FAILED !! It told me that "This computer has limited or no connection. You might not be able to access the internet etc etc".
Under details : physicial address: a whole bunch of letters and numbers (irrelevant i suppose), then IP: 169.254.114.204 and subnet 255.255.0.0

It comes up with a window offering to do a repair of the connection. This starts the circle again with the searching for a network address and then telling me that the connection has limited or no connectivity.
Yet the Belkin Client Utility tells me that he sees the network, the connection transmit data rate is 72 Mbps, the Receive data rate is 92 Mbps, with transmitted bytes 0, and received bytes 36.

The laptop works just great.

Can anybody help me?
is there something with IPconfig maybe?

Cheers

Johan
North Shore

Myth
18-12-2005, 06:41 AM
You will probably find that the desktop has a different IP range than the rest of the network. Have a look at the IP and see what it is (I am picking it will probably be in the 169.254.xxx.xxx range which means it is not picking up a dhcp server (the router) or the gateway (router). If this is the case, you will need to change the ip on the desktop as well as the gateway ip.
Are you using static or dynamic LAN ips?

beama
18-12-2005, 09:22 AM
I agree with Tazz, Compare the network setings between laptop and desktop but dont change the laptop settings because its able to contect to the network, Use your laptop as a template for setting up the wireless on the desktop.
Also if you running a firewall on the desktop check those settings also.

hotkiwi
18-12-2005, 09:55 AM
I switched firewalls off, just for a test, did not help. Laptop works a treat and shows: adress: assigned by DHCP, IP: 10.0.0.1, subnet: 255.0.0.0 and default gateway: 10.0.0.138 (is IP of my modem).
This morning the desktop show: adress: invalid IP address,IP: 0.0.0.0 subnet is not filled out and default gateway is not filled ou.
If I use the laptop setup as template, where can I fill out these data?

Very grateful for help. Why would the desktop all of a sudden have done this?

Cheers

Johan

beama
18-12-2005, 10:01 AM
on the desktop
right click my network places choose properties, right click local area connection choose properties, click on ( once ) tcp/ip click on properties button choose option obtain ip automatcally click on ok or apply as they appear reboot pc try network

hotkiwi
18-12-2005, 10:21 AM
Sorry beama, is not working.
After rebooting as you said, already the network connections show the icon for my wireless network saying: disabled. If I double click that one, it says: acquiring network address (signal strength very good) and after about 60 seconds it gives up, saying: Limited or no connectivity. Yet it sees my wireless network with the correct name and displays a speed of 108 Mbps.

Any otrher ides?

Cheers

Johan

beama
18-12-2005, 10:27 AM
right click on the icon that says disabled and select enable somtimes repair also works but I would try enable first

Speedy Gonzales
18-12-2005, 10:37 AM
Post the ip addresses of the wireless adapters / cards / whatever for the desktop and laptop.

We're talking about a wireless network, not wireless internet aren't we?

It may (or will) be better if u enter the ip addresses in manually, (if u haven't yet - it sounds as tho one of these PC's settings are on obtain an ip automatically),than tell them to obtain an ip automatically.

Otherwise, it'll be the same as if it were an ethernet network. When you reboot, the computers that have obtain an ip address automatically, will drop off the network. Since the ip will change, everytime you reboot that computer (if you do reboot them).

Like I use 2 PC's here with wireless, I dont have ADSL tho. And I dont use a router. The main PC acts as the access point. (The USB adapter can act as a station, as well as an access point).

BUT all I've done is enter the ips in manually, well with the 192.xx ips and pointed this PC to subnet 255.255.255.0. Thats it. And the default gateway, would most probably point to the modem/router whatever it is.

hotkiwi
18-12-2005, 10:42 AM
To Beama: I enabled, but then it tells me: acquiring network address for 60 seconds, then falls back saying limited or no connectivity. yet in the Belkin icon it sees the network with a strong signal.
My setup: Alcatel ADSL modem, Belkin pre N wireless router, desktop and laptop in the network wireless and both accessing the Internet.
unders network status for the desktop:IP 169.254.114.204 (very strange number for me), and subnet 255.255.0.0
the laptop is working great, but displaying: adress: assign by DHCP, IP: 10.0.0.1, subnet 255.0.0.0 and default gateway 10.0.0.138

I am lost

Myth
18-12-2005, 10:46 AM
Edited.

The 169.254.xxx.xxx ip is an automatic ip the machine is giving itself. In other words, it is not seeing the router at all so therefore cannot get an ip from it.

hotkiwi
18-12-2005, 10:47 AM
wireless and worked fine till 9 pm yesterday.............

hotkiwi
18-12-2005, 10:48 AM
how can I enter details manually, would then probably use the laptop figures apart from from the IP, change that to 10.0.0.2 since the laptop is 10.0.0.1 ?

hotkiwi
18-12-2005, 10:49 AM
hmmmmmmmm, but it sees the network with the correct name

Myth
18-12-2005, 10:51 AM
Are the drivers for the desktops wireless connection installed and working correctly? Check in Device Manager.
You could try manually giving the desktop an IP in the 10.xxx.xxx.xxx range and see what happens

What is the ip of the router?

beama
18-12-2005, 10:53 AM
how many network cards does the desktop have?
one wireless, any others it seems to me as you may have a another

Speedy Gonzales
18-12-2005, 10:59 AM
how can I enter details manually, would then probably use the laptop figures apart from from the IP, change that to 10.0.0.2 since the laptop is 10.0.0.1 ?

Is the desktop using a wireless card / usb adapter, or is it using ethernet ?

Whatever it's using, go to my network places, and click on the desktop's network icon whatever it is (wireless or ethernet connection).

Then right mouse / properties/ Internet protocol (TCP/IP). Put it on use the following ip address, give it whatever ip address, subnet 255.255.255.0 and default gateway, which maybe the ip of the router. So, the desktop can get on the net.

It doesnt matter if all PC's have the same workgroup name, if one is on obtain an ip address automatically, it wont play nicely with the other PC's on the network. The ip will change all the time, everytime you reboot that computer.

If the desktop has both ethernet and wireless, (and you're not using the ethernet), and you're using the wireless on it, disable the ethernet in my network places. It wont hurt it.

hotkiwi
18-12-2005, 11:01 AM
Device manager tells me it is all OK.
I have one fire wire card in this PC and the wireless network card. There is on the motherboard a integrated network adapter, but that was is inactive

Speedy Gonzales
18-12-2005, 11:07 AM
Device manager tells me it is all OK.
I have one fire wire card in this PC and the wireless network card. There is on the motherboard a integrated network adapter, but that was is inactive

You havent changed the firewire card settings have you??

On some systems, a fire wire PCI card / onboard firewire, can screw things up. DON'T give the firewire an ip address , whatever you do.

It should be on obtain an ip address automatically.

hotkiwi
18-12-2005, 11:07 AM
Hey Speedy, icon now says "connected".
Browser will not start though, so suppose have to reboot..........

Speedy Gonzales
18-12-2005, 11:11 AM
Hey Speedy, icon now says "connected".
Browser will not start though, so suppose have to reboot..........

Yup it may help! It would have said that, coz u changed the ip address and u entered it in manually. (if this is what u just did).

hotkiwi
18-12-2005, 11:13 AM
System seems OK, but browser and other email access is not there. All icons show that connection is fine, but no internet access. Do i now need to change something in internet setup ?

Myth
18-12-2005, 11:14 AM
Recheck the ip address, has it reset itself?

Speedy Gonzales
18-12-2005, 11:16 AM
So file sharing works, if u want file sharing between the 2?

And what default gateway, did u give the desktop?? If u entered in 10.0.0.2 or whatever. try 10.0.0.1 or whatever the router's ip address is.

Umm is ICS (or whatever program you're using), enabled on the main PC whatever the main PC is??

hotkiwi
18-12-2005, 11:18 AM
No, doesnt seem so.
It says: IP address 10.0.0.7 (that was me), subnet mask 255.255.255.0 (laptop uses 255.0.0.0) default gateway 10.0.0.138 (=modem) and then DNS server is empty, whereas on my laptop it daisplays there also 10.0.0.138.........

Speedy Gonzales
18-12-2005, 11:23 AM
OK enter the same info u have for the laptop.

On the desktop. Wherever its got 10.0.0.138 on the laptop put it in exactly the same place on the desktop.

But leave the ip address you've entered for the desktop as it is.

The subnet is usually 255.255.255.0 by default.

hotkiwi
18-12-2005, 11:28 AM
Whilst waiting for a reboot I was thinking that i yesterday reinstalled the audio drivers on the motherboard from the ASUS disk. This problem could not stem from that action could it? Almost feels looking backward that I lost these audio drivers when I installed the wireless card...... Could there be a interaction?

Speedy Gonzales
18-12-2005, 11:34 AM
Whilst waiting for a reboot I was thinking that i yesterday reinstalled the audio drivers on the motherboard from the ASUS disk. This problem could not stem from that action could it? Almost feels looking backward that I lost these audio drivers when I installed the wireless card...... Could there be a interaction?

Not unless the soundcard and wireless card are conflicting now.

And there's a X or ! in device manager, for either now.

hotkiwi
18-12-2005, 11:34 AM
Copied the settings of the laptop, but still no internet access, afraid have to give up, kids to sport.

I want to thank you all so much for your help, shows us in what a great country we (still) leave.
Wish you all a great X-mas a nd a very cool start of the new year 9don't drink too much)

Tonigt I might disable the audio drivers and reinstall the Belkin card and let u know

Cheers

Johan

hotkiwi
19-12-2005, 10:56 PM
Guess what??

Nothing worked, so phoned with Belkin in their call centre in India........ After 45 minutes waiting in a queue of 7 customers the guy tells me that it is a common problem since the PCI pre N Belkin cards are incompatible with ASUS motherboards !!!! He gave me a link to download drivers from, the maker of the chipset for Belkin: RALinktech.com.
Guess what? You download an exe file, upon execution of that file the program asks for drivers it then can't find.
What a mess !!!!!

Johan