PDA

View Full Version : PC lights flashing won't boot

Jason4
17-12-2005, 09:01 AM
If I plug in power cord to my emachines T2240 lights (power button at front and hard drive indicator) flash with a noise. Pressing the button does not do anything. Fans turn. The keyboard lights also flash. The PC was off last night (with power cord plugged in) and this morning the noise woke us up. Why the lights flash? What might have gone bad? Thanks for all help.

SurferJoe46
17-12-2005, 11:20 AM
Jason, can we have a lot more info?

What opsys, how many and what type of drives, is there a non-system disc in a drive somewhere or a stuck floppy or something like that? What was it doing just before you shut it off last night? Are you a gamer or do you go to some "risque" places in ehternetworld?

What security stuff are you running? SP-2? (if you have XP)

Have you installed (recently) any new hardware? What is the age of your unit?

Gads..I can ask a lot of questions here...Do you have a print-out of Belarc?
Please tell more and there are a lot of people who can help..and WILL!

Jason4
17-12-2005, 02:27 PM
The machine (eMachines T2240) had XP, with CD, CDRW, and floppy drives. 2.5 years old. No hardware changes lately. No CD or floppy in the drives.

The flashing lights apparently started over night when the machine was off. What I could recreate was as soon as I plugged in the power cord, the lights (power button, hard drive indicator, lights on keyboard - num lock etc) came on and flashed non-stop, and with a clicking/cranking sound coming from near the power button. I called the lights emergency lights.

eMachines support asked to reseat the drives and other connectors. After I disconnected the drives and plugged in the power cord again the power unit got burned. Bad burn smell. Now the fans would turn only a little and then stop.

So the machine is without power. Nice.

SurferJoe46
17-12-2005, 04:02 PM
Sounds like it failed the "smoke test"......I would be looking for another unit..this one sounds dead.

But why do you pull the power cord at night? Lightning? Voltage spikes?

That does not sound like normal operational requirements to me, but then again, I don't have to deal with whatever variables you have in your electrical distribution system.

Hey..just a thought here.......did someone change the little red switch on the back of your tower...... the one that says 110/220v?...........hmmmmm?

Jason4
17-12-2005, 04:18 PM
The power cord was not unplugged last night. The system was shut down. The problem (flashing lights with noise) started when the system was still down. The 115/230 switch was fine.

pctek
17-12-2005, 04:19 PM
The PSU has died. Who knows what else it may have taken out with it.

SurferJoe46
17-12-2005, 04:24 PM
The PSU has died. Who knows what else it may have taken out with it.

yup...just didn't want to crush the young'un too bad..that's all.....

Jason4
17-12-2005, 05:38 PM
You meant the PSU had gone bad and then lights started to flash? The fans (PSU and CPU) were still running.

Jason4
20-12-2005, 04:28 PM
I bought a new PSU today. Now the fans (for PSU and CPU) turn for just a couple of seconds and then stop. Same for the HD indicator light (on for a couple of seconds and then off). What's going on?

tweak'e
20-12-2005, 04:39 PM
strip it back to basics and try it. it could be cpu, ram, motherboard or even a pci/agp card causeing it.

Jason4
20-12-2005, 04:56 PM
How to "strip it back to basics"? By disconnecting one component at a time? I have CD, CDRW, floppy, hard drive, and one card (modem).

FoxyMX
20-12-2005, 05:08 PM
How to "strip it back to basics"? By disconnecting one component at a time? I have CD, CDRW, floppy, hard drive, and one card (modem).
Yes, unplug all cables (hard drive, CD and CDRW drives, floppy and modem) and test. PC should give POST beep when switched on and fans should spin and stay spinning. If that does not happen either the motherboard or CPU is probably gronked.

Jason4
20-12-2005, 05:17 PM
Might I burn something if I leave just the motherboard connected?

FoxyMX
20-12-2005, 05:24 PM
Burn what? I didn't say disconnect any fans.

It is quite alright to have just the motherboard, RAM, graphics card and CPU installed when the PC is switched on. Hopefully it will beep and your fans will spin up.

Jason4
20-12-2005, 05:41 PM
No luck. No beep and fans do not spin up.

FoxyMX
20-12-2005, 06:02 PM
Looks like you have a dead mobo or CPU... or both. :(

Do you have access to another CPU that is compatible with your motherboard to try?