PDA

View Full Version : MY new PSU blows up within 2hr.

Nomad
16-12-2005, 04:49 PM
What is a good one?
Got new computer in parts today and fitted together and within 2hr it blew up, with sparks and smoke. The computer does not turn on now nor the lights come on.

I will need to contact the dealer on this. Hopefully I can upgrade to a better one.

Just a basic all in one mobo, 512MB in one stick, one SATA, one floppy and one CDRW drive. No PCI cards nor AGP cards. We need to put in a 56k PCI card modem but didn't get there before it blewed up.

Thanks.

tweak'e
16-12-2005, 05:28 PM
what psu was it ?

sometimes even with good brands you can get a faulty one.]
i hope it didn't kill anything else along with it.

Nomad
16-12-2005, 05:44 PM
I want a PSU that is not too pricey since its for my brother and it does not have any exotic power hungry parts inside it. He just use it for normal stuff like scanner, printer, email and MS Office.

The PSU came with the case for like $65, its 350W Excel brand. The unit was small, smaller than our PSU in our 386 then that same PSU was used for a Pentium 200Mhz - bro's last computer.

I am hopign it didn't drag other parts with it. My bro saw smoke and sparks from the PSU unit. At the time both sides of the tower case wall was taken out as we only just put the unit together, WinXP was just installed and we were browsing the homepage of the motherboard CD just prior of installing drivers and then BANG.

Been looking at it. Enermax, Coolermaster, Zalman. Antec is expensive esp the the Phantom model. I want a 350W one a tad less does not matter too much since I we don't have much parts inside.

tweak'e
16-12-2005, 05:58 PM
what sort of pc is it?

enermax is a good brand.

edit: if the psu was really small you may have a non-stabdard case in which normall psu's may not fit. you may have to get a new case. i hope its all under warranty.

Nomad
16-12-2005, 06:01 PM
Gigabyte motherboard all in one unit, micro ATX. AMD Sempron 2500+, Kingmax 512MB RAM DDR 400, one stick. Seagate SATA II, 80GB. 56k PCI modem.

3.5" floppy drive and a old CDRW drive.

Thats all the parts inside it.

Nomad
16-12-2005, 06:10 PM
I measured the size of PSU of which the case allows.
8.5cm x 15cm. That is the height and width. In terms of length that can be longer without much restructions as the othe side of the case are the drive bays.

Is this a standard fit for other PSU's?

Edit there is a bit more extra head room above the PSU for a few more mm too. I checked the Enermax site out and it fits :) What is the min. wattage you suggest? 350W. Yup all the parts have warranty .. all the parts are new that was in the system.

Metla
16-12-2005, 06:33 PM
That case, Does the PSU mount over the cpu, running down the side of the case rather then across the top?

If so, Throw it away, Its poor design, has the CPU fan and PSU fan fighting each other, and as you have noticed the supplied PSU is weak.

Metla
16-12-2005, 06:36 PM
One of these?

http://protacnz.co.nz/products/cases/images/cx3155l.jpg

Nomad
16-12-2005, 07:00 PM
If the tower case is up-right. The PSU is on the top rear. The CPU is under the up-right standing PSU. The grille of the PSU back is facing the other way.

The case looks different to the link you provided. But it is a cheap case.

Myth
16-12-2005, 07:25 PM
Im still lost... Does the PSU sit vertical or horizontal in the upright case?

Metla
16-12-2005, 07:47 PM
is it one of these?

http://protacnz.co.nz/products/cases/

Nomad
16-12-2005, 08:25 PM
Metla, you got it this time. Its on the last link you provided. "CX-6059".

If the tower case is upright. The PSU is also upright. Its on the top with its air grille facing towards the drive bays. Its main side of PSU is facing the back of the computer.

But becos I have a micro ATX motherboard it does not stretch further back than the back of the PSU supply so the PSU grille and CPU fan are not facing next to each other.

The CPU fan is underneath the bottom of the PSU, like perpendicular as the motherboard is mounted on the side - the wall of the tower case.

pctek
16-12-2005, 09:44 PM
Power supplies
www.overclockers.co.nz

You want at least 17a on the 12v.
As you don't need a lot of watts you should be able to get a quality one for not too much.
Avoid the rubbish ones as you have discovered.