PDA

View Full Version : Is it hard to burn an eprom?

*Sparky*
16-12-2005, 05:38 AM
Howdy folks,
Got a friend with a Mitsubishi Galant that has a Japanese language SatNav thingy in it.
Evidently the only way to convert the language to english is to burn new eprom.
Wouldnt have a clue how to do that, but is it hard to do?
Cheers.

Speedy Gonzales
16-12-2005, 08:25 AM
I would say, you would need a certain circuitboard with the right stuff / circuitry on it, and some kind of program for that specific eprom you want to program.

It wouldnt be that easy to do. And if you program / flash it wrong, you may kill the chip altogether.

godfather
16-12-2005, 09:08 AM
You need a new eprom chip (many different types, must be the right one)
You need the file to burn into the chip would be sourced from the SatNav makers)
You need the eprom burner device that suits the chip (a circuit board that connects to the PC), and the s0ftware to drive the eprom burner.

But, if the English language "file" is available, a pre-programmed Eprom should be able to be purchased from the makers of the SatNav and installed.

Then you will need the NZ maps to also load in, as an indication a new set of country maps for my NavMan device costs over $600. They usually only ship the hardware with the maps for the country of purchase.

Graham L
16-12-2005, 01:33 PM
It's dead easy, with the right equipment. There are places which will do it : Sicom (www.sicom.co.nz) is one. It's possible to do it with toggle switches, but that's very tedious. :D The technology has changed over the years, and now most people use eeprom. I do it every day, but I install the in-circuit programing components before anything else in my circuit boards. ;)

But to alter a commercial system's code is more of a project.

If the chip type number starts with 25 or 27, it's a UV erasible (E)PROM. IF it starts with 28 or 29 it's an electrically erasible (EE)PROM. (It's unlikely to be a 24... or 93... .. they are usually small capacity 8 pin serial eeproms.)
One problem will be getting the code, as Gf says. The PROM might be soldered in (or on) the circuit board. :(.

Eric
17-12-2005, 09:47 AM
Hi Graham L thanks for the link I must have a closer look later.

As for EEPROM I made and used a serial programer for checking TV EEPROM, the circuit and the program is available from this web site, http://www.lancos.com/prog.html (http://)
Someone out there has put a lot of work into it, and if you run into problems there is a web site forum, Well there was a good one going a couple of years ago http://ponyprog1.sourceforge.net/phorum/list.php?f=1

Eric
17-12-2005, 10:07 AM
OK Graham L I had a closer look, I deleated the URL from my bookmarks

Because I am sick of looking a good prices then founding you have to add on GST everyone has to pay GST it is just that some customers get a refund.

Graham L
17-12-2005, 01:09 PM
It's a pity you feel like that, Eric. I buy a lot from them because they (a) have knowledgeable and helpful staff, (b) have reasonable prices, and (c) stock components no-one else in Christchurch (or even in NZ, sometimes) has (even in their catalogues).

When I wanted to see the contents of a serial EEPROM, I just ran a cable from a PicAxe board, and wrote a little programme, using the builtin I2C routines. All the bits came from Sicom. ;)