PDA

View Full Version : Linux - Inconsistant flash support

personthingy
15-12-2005, 03:52 PM
Another Linux question:
Flash seems to have varying degrees of support between different users and different browers.

My test was to go to www.furpatrol.com and get several error messages thus:
"You don't have the latest version of Macromedia Flash Player.
This web site makes use of MacromediaŽ FlashTM software. You have an old version of Macromedia Flash Player that cannot play the content we've created."

...except running as personthingy, and using firefox, i have the flashest flash that can cope with the furpatrol.com site

I've been updating, and don't seem to be able to get a system wide flashest flash, let alone a flash flash for konqueror as well

:badpc: :confused:

Graham L
15-12-2005, 03:59 PM
You need a Linux gabardine coat for effective flashing :groan: , not bob_doe_nz's dress.

personthingy
18-12-2005, 11:24 AM
Just when i thought i was confused, something even more confusing happens...

It's fixed it self, or atleast its fixed itself for "personthingy", and i didn't do anything? :confused:

Superflash flash for both browsers.. um yay.. i think.

Jen
18-12-2005, 12:37 PM
Stranger things have happened ;)

Did you install flash yourself, or use the package manager for Mepis? The symlinks from the profile plugins might not of been pointing in the right direction to find the latest flashplayer file.

I don't have other user accounts on my machine to test it, but the way Fedora installs plugins tends to be global for all accounts and browsers (Konqueror, Mozilla and Firefox). Well at least it is for the Flashplayer ...

personthingy
18-12-2005, 01:32 PM
Did you install flash yourself, or use the package manager for Mepis? The symlinks from the profile plugins might not of been pointing in the right direction to find the latest flashplayer file.

I downloaded from the macromedia site, and manually popped the files manually into a variety of locations to no effect. Such locations for libflashplayer.so and another whose name i currently forget included usr/lib/netscape/plugins-libc6, and usr/lib/flashplugin-nonfree. In made sure they wereable to be read and executed by all, but to no effect. Every location i tried was locations that i found konquerors appalingly long list of places to scan for plugins, which i have since edited to include only places where plugins were actually found.

Looking at the konqueror settings plugin tab tells me that the plugin its using is /home/personthingy/.mozilla/plugins/flashplayer.so which explains its localised success, but doesnt explain why it waited till this morning to work, or how it got there in the first place.

I'm wondering if a dodgy version of libflashplayer.so is being found first and overiding a useful/uptodate one, but my editing the list of places konqueror looks is saving "personthingy" from a flashless future? I've had a few times in the last couple of months where flaptop has suddenly run out of power, and some file corruption is possible...

I'll just run off and copy a working plugins somewhere universal where konqueror likes to look by default, and see what happens.