PDA

View Full Version : Big external hard drive problem

Bazman
14-12-2005, 11:05 PM
I've got an external hard drive. one of this hard drives where one plug plugs into the usb port and one plug for it's own power source. they're also bloody heavy. don't know why i bought as I'm now thinking about it. Now I've got a new problem, a big one. For those who might now what I'm talking about, the connector part that connect the hard drive to the USB plug and the power cable plug doesn't seem to work anymore. When it works, a green led flashes, but now it has a green and red led flashing. I keep getting an error saying that Windows says the device has malfunctioned and if it happens again I should replace the device. No help. To make matter worse, I removed the IDE connecter from this connector part, are you still with me?, and now the pins on the connector part are bent :badpc: :badpc:
looks like i'm gonna need a new "connector part" so if anyone by now still know what this connector part is supposed to represent, can I buy these seperaly somewhere??? I can't use the hard drive now, and it has data on it which I'm quite keen to access. So if anyone could help me out here than that would be great.

Renmoo
14-12-2005, 11:28 PM
What does the flashing of the red and the green LED mean? Seagate External HDD, I suppose? Model number?

Cheers :)

Bazman
14-12-2005, 11:38 PM
it's a data link ext hd which i bought from supercheappc i think. the hd is indeed a seagate. barracude 7200.7 model st3160021a
there is a red and green led. if it just the green led is flashing, then you can write and read to it and windows has recognised it. the red led usually flashes when it's being accessed or when data is written to or erased from it. in this case, both leds kept flashing and windows didn't recognise the hd.
but it's not use trying to plug it all back in and trying to see if it works as i've mentioned the pins are bend. damn i'm such a moron.

Rob99
15-12-2005, 12:57 AM
Is it the pins on the HD, the mainboard of the Data Link, or the short IDE cable?

Have you tried these (http://www.nationmaster.com/wikimir/images/upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/9/9e/180px-Needle_nose_pliers.jpg)

Bazman
15-12-2005, 01:09 AM
i guess the "connector part" is properly called the mainboard of the data link. it probably says explicitly in manual but under which pile of junk that is lying, i have no clue.
anyhoo, yeah, the mainboard has pins and i removed the ide cable from it and in the process the pins were bend and it's impossible to connect the cable now. perhaps with extreme force, but that'll only make things worse i'm guessing.
do they sell these mainboards loosely? dick smith? otherwise i'm gonna have to install the ext had as a secondary internal hd. since i'm halfway between a noob and a novice with the practical side of computers, that'll probably take me at least half a day to get that working, if at all. not looking forward to it :(

oh, didn't see the link, must be tired :annoyed: , i'll have a look in the toolbox in the garage. they might fix the problem, if i'm careful. :badpc: