PDA

View Full Version : Firefox defaulting

Mirddes
14-12-2005, 02:01 PM
i am having a major issue with firefox in that everytime i close and reopen firefox, all of the values reset to default, bookmarks and interface to be exact.
passwords and extentions and history are left untouched.
ive tried reinstalling firefox, but that didnt change anythign in the slightest.
when i first installed firefox i made sure to make my own profile (i think, that may have been one of the the other 10 installs of windows during the 2 day period i did on this machine).
another thing ive painfully noticed is that i cannot add search engines in the dropdown search, such as wikipedia or imdb, or any for that matter, futhermore the list is empty.

im starting to get annoyed with firefox, i had to hit myself the otherday when for a second i was considdering goign back to IE =(.
any help sorting out my FOSS troubles woudl be much appreciated.

Myth
14-12-2005, 04:28 PM
If I were having these issues I would do this (assuming you are on XP):
Uninstall Firefox via add/remove programs
Then in Explorer click on View > Folders > Unhide hidden folders (this is all by memory.. I might be out but look around)
Then Go To C:\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox (again from memory.. might be slightly out) and delete the firefox folder. Before doing this, make sure all the data you want is backed up (bookmarks etc)

SOHO Services
14-12-2005, 04:53 PM
I have experienced exactly this issue. Here's what I did to fix it:

Uninstall Firefox from Control Panel, Add / Remove Programs.
Show Hidden folders (in Explorer - Tools / Folder Options / View), then goto C:\Documents & Settings\"Your Username"\
In both the Application Data, and the Local Settings folder there will be a Mozilla entry. One of them will have a copy of your bookmarks.htm - save it somewhere else, then delete all Mozilla folders you can find.

I also removed all evidence of Mozilla from my registry, but I'm not sure if that is really necessary.

Now re-install Firefox. Find the default bookmarks.htm that Mozilla installed, and replace it with your backed up copy. (close Firefox first).

My Firefox 1.5 has been faultless since I did this. Before that, I was ready to look for another browser to use!

Steve Murrey
SOHO Computer Services Ltd
Wellington

Mirddes
14-12-2005, 04:56 PM
Thanks, works perfectly now =D