PDA

View Full Version : Word Processing Question, MS Word

Strommer
13-12-2005, 09:26 PM
How do I make one A4 page print in a landscape orientation so that the page is duplicated side by side? In other words, I want to reduce the single A4 page that I have so that two of them fit on one A4 page sideways/landscape orientation. I always used to do this by reducing the A4 on a photocopier, making two copies, trimming so that they fit two on a page. There must be a simple way to do this within MS Word, but how? (MS Word 2002, part of MS Office). Looked in Word's Help but no luck.

Thanks.

LucyL
13-12-2005, 09:36 PM
Hi Steve

Set page orientation to landscape - File Menu, Page setup, then from format menu choose columns - set it to 2 and you can put line between columns if you want to.

Type your stuff and then paste to duplicate. You may have to use enter key to "move" the second copy into the second column.

Hope that makes sense

Cheers Lucy

PaulD
13-12-2005, 09:50 PM
Seems like the sort of thing that your printer dialogue would handle, scaling 2 pages to the sheet.

Graham L
14-12-2005, 02:07 PM
Seems like the sort of thing that your printer dialogue would handle, scaling 2 pages to the sheet.

It might work ... telling it to print 100 copies of a 1 page document, 2 -up, to get 50 sheets of paper.

But I'm a bit cynical about clever features ... anything I can do explicitly like making a single landscape page with 2 columns, both holding the same document, then telling the printer to print that I will do. I'm sure that will work. ;)

I've tried too many clever options which just waste paper, rather than doing what I want, to believe that the programmers either use the option themselves, or understand the specifications given to them.,

PaulD
14-12-2005, 02:14 PM
The less I have to do in Word the better. My printer does what it's told.

Elephant
14-12-2005, 02:39 PM
I've tried too many clever options which just waste paper, rather than doing what I want, to believe that the programmers either use the option themselves, or understand the specifications given to them.,

Very good comment. When I programmed the Burroughs B3500 using COBOL a long time back I was handed specs given to me by Systems Analysts.

Unfortunately these specs changed on a weekly basis while I was doing the programming.

Work out the result for yourself. :-)

Graham L
14-12-2005, 04:02 PM
"on time, under budget, working: pick any two"?

Strommer
15-12-2005, 11:40 AM

Thanks everyone for your comments.

Paul D - that is what I thought, but could not find it (Epson).

Lucy - landscape / 2 columns is what I wound up doing, although it threw the formatting astray so I had to fiddle around. I knew your suggestion was one option but I thought there may be something under "Tools" or whatever.

Scouse
15-12-2005, 12:13 PM
Hi Steve. I use Word 2003 - the following applies.
Click on File > Page Setup and Margins Tab.
In the Pages area of Margins Tab under Multiple Pages, click bookfold/all.
Because the programme prepares your document like a book, twin pages, it leaves the first section blank.
Overcome this by placing Insertion Point at start of document,
click Insert > Break and the selecting Section Break/next page. It works.

Scouse
15-12-2005, 01:42 PM
Hi Steve. Ignore my previous. My old mind was elsewhere. It won't work for you. Regards. :yuck: