PDA

View Full Version : Help please...is this possible?

Tukapa
13-12-2005, 01:05 PM
Hi all

I have a friend who has got his grandparents online so the family can keep in touch via e-mail etc.

The only thing is they hardly use it because their eyesight is bad and they have trouble reading the screen. They are only using a 15" monitor at the moment.

Would it be feasible to get them a 2nd hand 19" monitor and run the resolution down at 800x600 or similar so that everything on the screen is huge. Would this even work?

Any thoughts (except for new super duper spectacles) are welcomed.

Thanks.

Myth
13-12-2005, 01:27 PM
I would save your money and just use the Windows Accessibility options

Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs > Windows Setup > Accessibilty >Accessibiltiy Tools.

This contains a magnifyer. Check in Start >Programs > Accessories.. it may already be installed

A 17" monitor will suffice at 800*600 but CRT are better at running at lower resolutions.

Billy T
13-12-2005, 01:51 PM
A 15" monitor may not have enough screen real-estate to do justice to windows accessibility options, and the GPs might not appreciate the overkill either.

Your first option sounds great to me and a used 19" monitor costs peanuts. I have a 19" IBM in very good condition that I paid about $100 for.

If the 19" isn't doing enough, then you can go look at the accessibility options.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Greg
13-12-2005, 03:17 PM
Would it be feasible to get them a 2nd hand 19" monitor and run the resolution down at 800x600 or similar so that everything on the screen is huge. Would this even work?
Yeah it's a good idea.

Graham L
13-12-2005, 03:25 PM
And of course, in IE, there is View/Text with choices ranging between "Largest" and "Smallest". Other (better?) browsers will have this too. ;)

drcspy
13-12-2005, 04:00 PM
A 17" monitor will suffice at 800*600 but CRT are better at running at lower resolutions............really ?.........I beg to disagree........i always run my 17" monitor at 800x600 unless some app demands higher res.........i find it very easy to read and i DO have excellent eyesight......i think.......why the hell do I want it at 1024x768 or higher.......everythign goes small and on many webpages you have all this BLANK realestate on either side......whats the point of that ?

maccrazy
13-12-2005, 04:04 PM
why the hell do I want it at 1024x768 or higher.......everythign goes small and on many webpages you have all this BLANK realestate on either side......whats the point of that ?So you can fit more on the screen at once. ;) Also, everything is sharper at higher resolutions and you can always increase the text size at a high resolution if you are having trouble reading it. :)

Graham L
13-12-2005, 04:08 PM
You need high resolution so you can enjoy all the advertisements. :cool:

Myth
13-12-2005, 04:08 PM
Hmmm....maybe...I...should...have...put...the...wo rd...USUALLY...in...the...sentence...
you...know...what...I...mean...? Anyway...I...was...referring...to...the...fact...t hat...some
...LCD...screens...have...issues...with...running. ..at...lower...than...native...resolutions...
But...then...you...obviously...know...more...so... I...will...leave...it...to...you

BTW, do you find lots of dots just vaguely annoying?? I know I do and Im picking others do too
Sorry bout the hijack

drcspy
13-12-2005, 04:48 PM
ONLY find dots annoyin when someone takes the piss by overdoing it like you did ........

drcspy
13-12-2005, 04:49 PM
ome
...LCD...screens...have...issues...with...running. ..at...lower...than...native...resolutions.......f unny that you DIDN'T mention lcd screens at all....

Metla
13-12-2005, 04:51 PM
The comment that CRT's run lower resolutions better was in comparison to an LCD which only displays full detail at its native res.

pctek
13-12-2005, 05:25 PM
So you can fit more on the screen at once. ;) Also, everything is sharper at higher resolutions and you can always increase the text size at a high resolution if you are having trouble reading it. :)
Sharper....Is it? I don't find a sudden fuzziness at 800x600.
HAve to say I hate high resolutions...my 19 is on 1024 and thats about as high as I would want to go.
Yes, there is that increase text workaround but it looks so horrible.
Why the big obsession with super high resolution anyway?

Graham L
13-12-2005, 05:32 PM
You might have good vision, pctek. ;) You will find as you get older that larger text can be a good thing. I'd dispute "horrible", but if you have a choice between "horrible" and "unreadable" which would you take? The Accessibility magnifier tool can produce a fairly "unpretty" effect, but some people prefer that to not being able to read anything.

maccrazy
13-12-2005, 05:41 PM
BTW, do you find lots of dots just vaguely annoying?? I know I do and Im picking others do too Very annoying!

Sharper....Is it? I don't find a sudden fuzziness at 800x600.That may have been a poor way to describe it (though it is true if you don't run your LCD at its native resolution). Less detailed may have been a better description. :)

At the moment my 15-inch LCD has a max resolution on 1024 x 768 which is no where near high enough (I honestly don't know how people can use 800 x 600. Nothing (applications, websites etc) is designed for it any more and everything is so huge on the screen). I'm definitely looking forward to getting a 20-inch LCD soon with a resolution of 1680 x 1050.

Sultan_Emerr
13-12-2005, 06:40 PM
Clear Type (http://komando.master.com/texis/master/search/?q=%22cleartype%22&xsubmit=Search%3A&s=SS)

BETTER GET READY!!! (http://www.jsmagic.net/emissarypage4/)

Chilling_Silence
13-12-2005, 11:51 PM
I run my LCD at work at 1280x1024, its great for having more on the screen at once which can be crucial for the speed of some of my work I do.

Some LCD's just look "wrong" when you run them at certain resolutions... Some dont like anything other than 1024x768, some dont like 640x480 or lower. Varies between them.

I would advise a 19" CRT, for peanuts as was mentioned (second-hand). If they still have difficulty, then the accessibility options are excellent if you just run through the Wizard and let it help them find the best size for everything :) I would run it at 1024x768 res for them personally, regardless.

Agent_24
14-12-2005, 01:29 AM
I hate running my monitor at low resolutions.... nothing fits on the screen, you can't have many desktop icons and you have to scroll everywhere.... unless you have a reason (like bad eyesight) running a 17" or 19" CRT at 800x600 is just a pointless waste of potential screen real estate.

Graham L
14-12-2005, 05:20 PM
Agent24, did you bother to look at the original question?
... I have a friend who has got his grandparents online so the family can keep in touch via e-mail etc.

The only thing is they hardly use it because their eyesight is bad and they have trouble reading the screen. They are only using a 15" monitor at the moment.

Would it be feasible to get them a 2nd hand 19" monitor and run the resolution down at 800x600 or similar so that everything on the screen is huge. Would this even work? ... They "... have a reason (like bad eyesight)". What you "hate" is not really relevant. In a few years, you might be needing big print, too. ;)