PDA

View Full Version : server advice

aidanmaz
12-12-2005, 01:26 AM
i have 2 pcs ready to be networked, one XP pro and the other serve2003 standard. i thought i would gain experience but have no idea what to do with active directory and how to manage user accounts. i want to be able to deny access to certian users to certain shared folders but would have no idea how, any ideas?

qyiet
12-12-2005, 09:18 AM
i have 2 pcs ready to be networked, one XP pro and the other serve2003 standard. i thought i would gain experience but have no idea what to do with active directory and how to manage user accounts. i want to be able to deny access to certian users to certain shared folders but would have no idea how, any ideas?Wow, 2003 server seems overkill for a 2 PC network.

You can manage user accounts by going to Administrative Tools->Active Directory Users and Computers. Once you have the user accounts created, get your client PC (the one that is not the server) to join the domain.

(My Computer r->click->properties->computer name->change)

After that you can set permissions in two places, on the network share, and in the file system.

Just right click on any folder, and choose security. You can then add users or groups of users and set permission on all of them

Deny overrides allow, so be careful you don't take away permissions for yourself.

Hope this helps

-Qyiet