PDA

View Full Version : Saving video from camera to PC

Mike
11-12-2005, 07:25 PM
I have a Digital video camera, firewire card, lots of HDD, and a DVD writer. So I thought that instead of saving all our home video to VHS I'd save it all onto HDD and DVD.

Now the question here is what format, bitrate, whatever I should save it to initially, and for storage on DVD (as data rather than DVD video, as I'm guessing I'll get more per DVD that way)? I want to keep reasonable quality for all types of viewing (PC, DVD, even recorded back onto VHS), but rather than using the greatest format (and largest filesize) I'd like to keep the files down in size if possible... so basically the format that'll still give me reasonable quality, but not waste my disk space (where the added quality might never be noticed).

Can someone give me all the ins-and-outs of what I'm wanting to do, and the best way to go about it? So far I've been using Windows Movie Maker, as that seems to work just as well as the Ulead Video Studio 7 SE that I got with the Firewire card, and seems to have more editing options (which I'm not getting into at this stage).

Sarah (SWMBO) has been bugging me to copy all the stuff off the camera already, but I want to do it right before I wipe the tapes :)

Thanks,
Mike.

Speedy Gonzales
11-12-2005, 07:40 PM
It'll be better if u burn it as a DVD.

The program you use will (or should) change the video to DVD format. You cant really change the bitrate. It'll burn as is. Whatever the sound was recorded in originally.

You could burn it as VCD, but you'll lose picture quality. It wont look like its meant to (A DVD). I dont know much about Ulead, I use Nerovision. This lets u edit / add titles / text. I think Ulead does this as well. Not too sure. I havent really used Ulead programs, for DVD.

You could try this, but Nerovision usually needs a serial (or plugin), for the DVD option to become active. it depends on how big the video is, you have, on how much space it'll take up on a standard blank DVD.

And depending on how old your standalone DVD player is, it may or may not play the burned DVD, after its been burned. Moviemaker is good, coz it lets you transfer the edited video back to the tape (if the DV cam uses tape to record to).

Mike
11-12-2005, 08:18 PM
The program you use will (or should) change the video to DVD format. You cant really change the bitrate. It'll burn as is. Whatever the sound was recorded in originally.Thanks Speedy, but not quite what I was meaning :D

I want to know what format to save the video in when copying it FROM the camera TO the PC, not from the PC to a DVD or whatever. What format should I save it with straight from the camera, so that I can do what I want later?

Mike.

Metla
11-12-2005, 08:22 PM
The default DV is what you should be capturing it as.

lazydog
11-12-2005, 08:30 PM
The most important thing to consider is what you want to do with the final footage.

If its home movie stuff and you just want to burn it straight to dvd then capture it in Pal-dvd format(if in nz/oz etc). If its home movie stuff and you want to save it to vcd then capture it in Pal-vcd format etc...

Everytime you encode/re-encode the footage you lose video quality.

If you want to edit it and by editing i mean adding transitions, overlays, adjust the audio etc then your best to capture it in DV-avi format. The files will be quite large but this is the best format for editing.

Speedy Gonzales
11-12-2005, 08:35 PM
That depends on what program u use to xfer the video.

And what format/s it can save the video/s in.

I think Movie Maker saves it as WMV or something doesnt it?

I dont think it matters what format u save it as.

Just as long as the program you're going to use, to burn it to DVD (as a DVD), knows what the format is, and can load it, it shouldnt be a prob.

Like here, I could save the dv video I record as MPEG, AVI, WMV, and load all of these in Nerovision.

Since Nerovision can load / recognises these formats. Then burn them to a blank DVD.

Metla
11-12-2005, 09:04 PM
DV is a standard, it makes an AVI file, to the DV standard.

You want to capture an AVI file in the DV standard, and to retain quality back it up as captured, or Author them to DVD.

DV is default for capturing from a Videocamera via a firewire connection.

plod
11-12-2005, 09:30 PM
Import all video in as DV and do all your editing in this format before you degrade to any other format.
Just remember rubbish in rubbish out.

Lawrence
11-12-2005, 09:31 PM
Hi Mike. I have spent countless hours editing DV starting with capture with Nerovision Express 3 then running it through Windows MovieMaker then burning with Nero and getting results that I am 98% happy with.

Have tried Windows Media Encoder and not happy with it (Encoding to MPG2)

Tried TMPGEnc (Tentpeg) with various results that I am not happy with.

What works for me is when saving to computer in Win Moviemaker, is to save as a DV AVI file instead of a WMV file, though larger is better quality.

A program that is recommended is Cannopus Procoder 1.5 or 2.0, this is what I would like to find out from someone.