PDA

View Full Version : Norton Installation Problems

allblack
10-12-2005, 08:00 AM
Morning all.

Hoping someone can help.

Yesterday I bought Norton SystemWorks 2006 to replace the 2003 version I already had.

The AntiVirus utility in the 2003 version was disabled as it had expired, and I hadn't planned to renew online.

Whilst trying to install 2006 yesterday, I got a recurring message saying that Norton Antivirus was found on my machine, and this would affect the installtion of 2006.

I have removed as much as I can of 2003 via "Add and Remove", Windows Explorer etc.

I followed the instructions (I'm desperate, I've resorted to reading instructions!) and went to the Symantec site, and I've gone into msconfig and checked that "ccApp" is checked etc, and downloaded a tool from MS called Install Clean Up.

As it stands at the moment, I can't see ANY record of Norton showing anywhere on my machine - for all intents and purposes it looks like it never existed.

...but....

SystemWorks is still telling me that it can't install properly because it believes the 2003 AntiVirus is still there.
I've managed to install the other Utilities, but as I'm getting Broadband installed next week, I need the 2006 AntiVirius loaded more than the others!

Any, ANY help would be much appreciated. She Who Must Be Obeyed has had enough of the foul language, and the rental housing market doesn't look too good right now.

I bypassed Resident Evil 4 at Harvey Norman's to buy this - starting to wish I hadn't :mad:

Cheers
Tim

pctek
10-12-2005, 08:22 AM
Take it back and tell them as it is not suitable you'd like Resident Evil instead.

Its probably still got its 9 million registry entries that it installs. From your RUN box in Start, type regedit.
Then search for Norton. Delete all entries it finds. This will take ages.
Then repeat for Symantec.
That will get it all.
Oh and check your hard drive folders yourself too - often add/remove doesn't delete the entire folder...

Speedy Gonzales
10-12-2005, 08:34 AM
Or read this (http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nsw.nsf/docid/2001091013435207?Open&src=&docid=2001092114452606&nsf=nav.nsf&view=docid&dtype=&prod=&ver=&osv=&osv_lvl=&seg=) if u use XP.

Or this (http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nsw.nsf/docid/2001090708472107?Open&src=&docid=2001092114452606&nsf=nav.nsf&view=docid&dtype=&prod=&ver=&osv=&osv_lvl=&seg=) if u use 98.

Or get this (ftp://ftp.symantec.com/misc/consumer/Rnav2003.exe) to remove the AV part of Systemworks.

Read this (http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/docid/2001092114452606?Open&src=&docid=2001091013435207&nsf=nsw.nsf&view=docid&dtype=&prod=&ver=&osv=&osv_lvl=&seg=) first.

Alan Cotrell
10-12-2005, 09:04 AM
Under NO cicumstances go deleting registry entries just by name, many entries contain names of common products that share functions with other products, by deleting these keys you will end up with a very unstable and error ridden system.

(as an aside it is advice such as this that partly gives Norton products a bad name people try it end up with a error ridden system then blame Symantec)

To correctly remove NSW2003 you will now need two tools the first is symclean, available here (http://service4.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nsw.nsf/docid/2001101612274407?OpenDocument&ExpandSection=2)

The second is RNAV2003 already linked to by speedy, you must run symclean first then reboot then run RNAV2003 then reboot, you should then be able to install Systemworks 2006 with no further problems.

The main trouble people get into when trying to perform upgrades such as yours is they do not remove all Norton products from add and remove before upgrading, from memory NSW2003 has about 4 including System works, Nav 2003, liveupdate, livereg, all of these must be removed BEFORE starting the upgrade otherwise corruption of the install procedure will happen leading to problems such as you are experiencing.

Robby
10-12-2005, 09:09 AM
gidday,

Its probably registry entries, that are stopping your
installation, and you will need to clean the registry.

If you have xp a freebie called regscrubxp should do the trick.

cheers,

robby

quarry
10-12-2005, 12:13 PM
speedy & alan are correct - i have done about 20-30 similar jobs lately - a lot of people try doing it themselves, but it's not that simple. use the symantec tools to get rid of the old version, reboot - then install the new one. don't do it any other way - it's gonna cost you more in time or money. the last job - they bought norton av $90, mucked things up & then they had to get me in - 2 hrs of patchup, & it's not something i really wanted to do.

pctek
10-12-2005, 02:45 PM
Complete crap.
I did say search for NORTONS and SYMANTEC, not delete registry entries at random.
I have done it a thousand times. Yes it should be removed properly. I usuyallly see them after its been done half-assed.
All those removal tools do is delete the specific Nortons entry which is what I SAID.
Geez, everyones scared of the registy....You'd be surprised how many things run just fine without any entries at all, barring MS stuff and things like Nortons.

If oyu are super paranoid you can back it up first you know....

Big John
10-12-2005, 05:59 PM
speedy & alan are correct - i have done about 20-30 similar jobs lately - a lot of people try doing it themselves, but it's not that simple. use the symantec tools to get rid of the old version, reboot - then install the new one. don't do it any other way - it's gonna cost you more in time or money. the last job - they bought norton av $90, mucked things up & then they had to get me in - 2 hrs of patchup, & it's not something i really wanted to do.

It is as easy as pie. Simply remove the Symantec programs via Add/Remove (all of them). Reboot machine. Edit registry and remove symantec out of the software key in both the local user and local machine. Then go to C drive and enter the Program files and delete the symantec directories, next go find the sysmantec shared files and deleted that directory.
Finally go to Documents and Setting for All Users and remove any Symantec directories there, then do the same for all the users (you need to be admin to do all this of course).

Then you can install back in what you need. I have done it several times.

allblack
10-12-2005, 07:46 PM
Thanks guys! RNAV worked a treat!

Much, much, much appreciated.

Cheers
Tim

Speedy Gonzales
10-12-2005, 08:57 PM
Good to hear u got it fixed Tim :thumbs:

quarry
10-12-2005, 10:31 PM
Complete crap.
I did say search for NORTONS and SYMANTEC, not delete registry entries at random.
I have done it a thousand times. Yes it should be removed properly. I usuyallly see them after its been done half-assed.
All those removal tools do is delete the specific Nortons entry which is what I SAID.
Geez, everyones scared of the registy....You'd be surprised how many things run just fine without any entries at all, barring MS stuff and things like Nortons.

If oyu are super paranoid you can back it up first you know....

its not a case of being paranoid - not everyone's a tech or computer savvy, that's why people come here. just because some of us has done it 1000s of times ( i myself have only done it 2 million times, gods sakes).

allblack
11-12-2005, 07:24 AM
Thanks guys, RNAV fixed the problem and Thunderbirds are go!

Much, much appreciated.

Cheers
Tim