PDA

View Full Version : networking ideas

aidanmaz
09-12-2005, 02:33 PM
i have to pcs in mi room, both use dialup and i wan the to share a printer im going to get. so the best way is networking. One has XP pro and the other Xp home. i have another XP pro cd which i cud stick on the home, or wud it be better to install server 2003? as al mi friends use mi pc i wud like to create individual profiles and logons on the non server pc.

any ideas? i got them sort of networked, it takes a lifetime to double click on the other computers name in the view workgroup pcs. they are connected with a CAt 6 crossover cable from dse. one pc has a cdrw and the other has a floppy drive both i use.

Jen
09-12-2005, 05:17 PM
Not all printers can be networked as a standalone unit. I think you will need to have a switch/router that can handle printers as well. Another easy option which will work with your current set up is to attach the printer to one computer only and enable sharing on it. You will only be able to use the printer if that computer it is attached to is turned on. If the printer is bluetooth capable, then you can add bluetooth cards to both machines and do without wires altogether.