PDA

View Full Version : Google desktop search

Naruto28
07-12-2005, 06:56 AM
HI,

Does anyone know wat this is? I have just installed this along with another program, and was just wondering if it is good or bad. When I mean bad, I mean like a virus or spyware type thing, or anyhthing that can mess up my PC.

Thnx =)

johnboy
07-12-2005, 07:18 AM
There is a legitimate version of Google desktop search from here.
http://desktop.google.com/

What program did you install that included it.??
Try running Spybot and see what it turns up.
HTH

Naruto28
07-12-2005, 10:09 AM
ok. Thnx. I uninstalled it anyways, just to be on the safe side. I installed DivX player and it came with it ASKING whether i wanted to install google thing. =) thnx

SurferJoe46
07-12-2005, 02:50 PM
The "google-thing" is good. It performs a search of all the nooks and crannies in your files to see if you have a reference to whatever it is you type into your browser. The results are displayed on the top of the results page when you get them up and visable.

Google Desktop Search needs a little time to gather all the info and reference them in it's database and will do so at times when your puter is running idle for a bit. If you let it just collect info, it will take as long as it needs to look at and cross-referencec all your files...depending on the number of HDDS and the file system and other variables.

I love it...it is a real time saver and makes boolean and wild card searches like: "I know I had an e-mail with the word "tyrannasaurus rex" in it..I wonder where it is?" Google will find it. Or, "search for tyr*", or whatever you can remember in pieces and bits.

Google Desktop DOES NOT phone home...it will run whether you are on- or offline.

Morgenmuffel
08-12-2005, 09:54 AM
Ditto to what surfer joe says

It's been a godsend to me for searching my emails, and music files

Speedy Gonzales
08-12-2005, 10:10 AM
Just be careful as there's a flaw in IE, that exploits Google Desktop Search (http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/81024/google-fortifies-desktop-search-against-ie-flaw.html)

So, make sure you have the latest version, if u have it / use it.

Morgenmuffel
08-12-2005, 11:26 AM
Just be careful as there's a flaw in IE, that exploits Google Desktop Search (http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/81024/google-fortifies-desktop-search-against-ie-flaw.html)

So, make sure you have the latest version, if u have it / use it.

I didn't realise the PC Pro still existed, i used to read it as a student about 15 years ago and try out all the progs on the floppy disks as well as try to understand the codeing tutorials bit by wilf or wulf or whatever the guys name was

How do you update google desktop search?
-- I don't use IE but it is on my machine

Speedy Gonzales
08-12-2005, 11:34 AM
I didn't realise the PC Pro still existed, i used to read it as a student about 15 years ago and try out all the progs on the floppy disks as well as try to understand the codeing tutorials bit by wilf or wulf or whatever the guys name was

How do you update google desktop search?
-- I don't use IE but it is on my machine

Don't know. I dont use Google desktop search. Or IE. I only use IE for windowsupdate stuff.

It will be on the Google site somewhere.