PDA

View Full Version : unwanted internet usage?

tingle
05-12-2005, 09:31 PM
is there a way to find out what is using my internet connection? i have disabled all auto updates on my pc (win xp pro). even when all browser windows are closed there is a lot of activity. i have scaned for viruses, nortons and an online scan. i have scanned with ad aware and spybot.found nothing nasty at all. how can i tell what is using the connection?? :confused:
any help/advice will be much appreciated.

Jen
05-12-2005, 09:34 PM
What sort of internet connection is this? Dialup, ADSL, wireless etc? How are you detecting this unwanted internet usage exactly? Do you have a firewall (not the native XP one)?

bartsdadhomer
05-12-2005, 09:34 PM
install a firewall, it will tell you what is accessing the net and when
zone alarm, kerio etc plenty of free ones around

tingle
05-12-2005, 09:38 PM
i have a 56k connection and i click on the liddle computer icon and it brings up the internet status window and there i can see the sent and received stats. i do have zone alarm running. where can i see in there whats using the net??

zqwerty
05-12-2005, 09:53 PM
Get this:

http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/TcpView.html

tweak'e
06-12-2005, 12:26 AM
i have a 56k connection and i click on the liddle computer icon and it brings up the internet status window and there i can see the sent and received stats. i do have zone alarm running. where can i see in there whats using the net??
open zone alarm and go to program controll, see what you have allowed. also it will show what programs are accessing the net (fairly limitied in free ver tho).

Graham L
06-12-2005, 12:55 PM
Some time ago HP provided a driver for a multimedia keyboard which had a real "advanced feature". It would automatically, all on its own, periodically connect to a site in the US. This was intended as a "keepalive". It managed to rack up gigabytes of traffic. HP has released a revised driver. ;)

Rob99
06-12-2005, 01:02 PM
How much usage, just a few bytes every now and then, or streaming at a few k

Laura
06-12-2005, 01:09 PM
What is " a lot of activity," tingle?

I was mystified when I noticed what seemed like too much activity - until I found out how many of the computer's unseen innards needed to run simply to keep me surfing.

Some actual figures might help analyse what is normal.