PDA

View Full Version : At what moment are emails removed from server ??

hotkiwi
04-12-2005, 10:05 AM
Friends
I receive many emails daily. I use Outlook 2003. They come in over the paradise ISP server as well as over Yahoo (POP server setup in Outlook). Outlook is setup to delete mails once they are downloaded. however, if in the flow of emails there is a slight interruption, the download process is cancelled and starts all over again. Now this happens sometimes 3-4 times in a row after having downloaded almost all my mails and hence I receive mails 3,4 or even 5 fold, regretfully counting against the set download limit of my 2 MB ADSL connection. is there a way to tell the server to delete each email once downloaded or does the server only delete the mails once the whole lot has been transferred?
Hope this makes sense.
Cheers
Johan :illogical

Jen
04-12-2005, 05:01 PM
I am not sure at what point the mail server will delete the emails, but you shouldn't be getting so many disconnections (or interruptions) while downloading your email. This is not normal. I would resolve whatever is causing that issue.

GaRHaR
04-12-2005, 05:03 PM
your mail shouldnt be deleted until your outlook has sent the server a signal saying the mail has been downloaded

Jen is right however, you should fix your problem of disconnections / interuptions as this could cause further issues further on down the track

hotkiwi
04-12-2005, 11:17 PM
Yeah, thats probably a good one and an issue with wireless networks as I have. pre N is good for me, but this comp works with the normal Belkin g card on the pre N router, although they (Belkin) say it works good, i suspect that is the problem.

Cheers

netchicken
05-12-2005, 06:27 AM
Get mailwasher http://mailwasher.net/ - free.
(btw made by somone from christchurch I gather)

I use that first to delete spam off the server, it can check against master lists of spam on the net, and then only download the emails I want to keep.

stu161204
05-12-2005, 02:42 PM
Get mailwasher http://mailwasher.net/ - free.
(btw made by somone from christchurch I gather)

it use to be made by some one in christchurch, but not any more I think the guy sold it to another company I gather.

bartsdadhomer
05-12-2005, 03:57 PM
it use to be made by some one in christchurch, but not any more I think the guy sold it to another company I gather.

The guys name is Nick Bolton and the company still operates from CHCH according to the site.
MailWasher
Securities House
221 Gloucester St
P.O.Box 4620
Christchurch 8015
New Zealand