PDA

View Full Version : Turning AVI camera clips the right way up?

Neil McC
03-12-2005, 03:38 PM
My better half takes videos on her Fuji camera,sometimes holding it sideways of course.Is it possible to reorient the clips,other than turning the screen sideways? Haven't seen any mention of this on the forums I've searched, but it must be somewhere.

elmo
03-12-2005, 04:50 PM
get adobe premier it does that sort of stuff. angles, rotations etc

elmo
03-12-2005, 04:51 PM
and only silly people take pics sideways :D

bartsdadhomer
03-12-2005, 04:54 PM
I'm away from my editing PC at the moment but on this one windows moviemaker allows you to rotate the video under "video effects"
I know pinnacle and video studio both allow rotation, try searching the help menus
I'll have a look when I get home and post back if you havent got it sussed by then

Joe Blogs
03-12-2005, 05:59 PM
windows moviemaker allows you to rotate the video under "video effects"

Trouble with movie maker is when you do 90 deg flip it mucks up the aspect ratio.

EX-WESTY
03-12-2005, 06:42 PM
Turn your monitor 90 degrees to watch it then back again when you've finished. :nerd:

bartsdadhomer
03-12-2005, 06:57 PM
Trouble with movie maker is when you do 90 deg flip it mucks up the aspect ratio.
Of course it will.
And that will happen with Neil McC's video as well.
There's no way out of that one
No editing program can compensate for that

Neil McC
04-12-2005, 08:04 AM
Thanks everyone, will have a look for that in the help.The only problem is the aspect thing! And when you're used to turning the camera sideways to take stills, it just happens with video as well!

Joe Blogs
04-12-2005, 08:27 AM
Of course it will.
And that will happen with Neil McC's video as well.
There's no way out of that one
No editing program can compensate for that

Not so.
If you rotate a windows moviemaker file 90 deg of say a wedding couple they will appear short and stumpy. Windows moviemaker cannot correct this.

I do not have a lot of experience with this but have used the below program to fix a friends wedding clip.

http://www.virtualdub.org/index

bartsdadhomer
04-12-2005, 09:42 AM
Sorry, I should have expanded further
No software will automatically fix the aspect problem
Basically, fixing rotation & aspect involves a 'software fix' which will result in a loss of quality compared to an original aspect clip it's a trade off I've never been happy with but I suppose it's better than nothing, I'm probably too fussy.
Depending on the quality and filesize of the clip rotating, trimming and resizing can get a watchable video
Premiere 1.5 & Pinnacle liquid make a reasonable job but still not as good as original footage

Vdub is a great app for a freebie and I use it often

elmo
07-12-2005, 12:40 PM
virtual dub is a very good programme, u can save profiles and after that its easy, i just would not use it on long (over 15min) clips because its not all that stable.

Chilling_Silence
08-12-2005, 07:22 AM
Add one more recommendation for VirtualDub, its great :)

Neil McC
08-12-2005, 11:55 AM
Thanks guys, I'll have a fiddle.