PDA

View Full Version : how to default to D:

Mirddes
02-12-2005, 02:58 PM
how do i make everthing default to installgin to D:\
trying to keep only essential apps ect on C:\ with windows.

Speedy Gonzales
02-12-2005, 03:02 PM
Most programs dont like being installed on D, or any other partition / hdd.

They may install but whether they work properly after, is another matter.

Mirddes
02-12-2005, 03:14 PM
from my experience, most apps work no matter what partition they are installed on, although for most of my apps they were installed on C: which then became D: after multiple windows reinstalls.

alot of the time im just forgettign to change C: to D:
then i have to unintall teh app, and reinstall it on D:
takes a while, thats all

bartsdadhomer
02-12-2005, 03:42 PM
Most programs dont like being installed on D, or any other partition / hdd.

They may install but whether they work properly after, is another matter.
News to me.
There are very few apps that won't install to another partition or hard drive, hell you can even tell Windows to install to D, E, F, G, H..... etc instead of C

Don't know of any way to make another partition letter the 'default' for new apps being installed though.

Speedy Gonzales
02-12-2005, 03:44 PM
News to me.
There are very few aps that won't install to another partition or hard drive, hell you can even tell Windows to install to D, E, F, G, H..... etc instead of C

Well I know some dont work properly, coz its happened here before.

Maybe not windows, but other programs. I didnt say anything about windows anyway.

bartsdadhomer
02-12-2005, 03:52 PM
Well I know some dont work properly, coz its happened here before.

Maybe not windows, but other programs.

As I said "very few"
I did have one recently though
An old Win95 dos based Bible program wouldn't install to the H drive which is where XP was installed to, it kept trying to install to C
had to do quite a bit of playing around but finally got it going
The only other app I've had this problem with was an old version of Zone Alarm about 4 odd years ago

I didnt say anything about windows anyway.

No but you have gone from 'Most' to some
Maybe we could download the universal fix for everything, a copy of hijackthis, unzip it to it's own folder......
That might fix it!

Speedy Gonzales
02-12-2005, 03:57 PM
Yer go for it by all means

Rob99
02-12-2005, 04:15 PM
If you want to keep your files on another drive Folder Redirector (http://windowsxp.mvps.org/folderredirector.htm) will make all the default windows shortcuts point to a new location.

Prescott
02-12-2005, 04:39 PM
News to me.
There are very few apps that won't install to another partition or hard drive, hell you can even tell Windows to install to D, E, F, G, H..... etc instead of C

Don't know of any way to make another partition letter the 'default' for new apps being installed though.

*cough* some cracks dont like a drive letter other than c *cough*

SurferJoe46
02-12-2005, 05:17 PM
With 8 - 200gig HDDS (4 RAID 0+1, 4 JBODS), I haven't had any issues with placing things where I want them...yet!

I imagine it will happen someday, but so far.... so good.

I DO notice that I get a lot of flack from HJT when it finds things in places that it feels is not the normal address...but that's just a cute little point that doesn't bother me very much at all.

SIDEBAR: The reason for all the HDDS is a lot of movies and music. I also provide a site for medical records of a group of US Military veterans who are all vying for certain benefits, and I collate their data for them......another reason for being suspicious (hearkening back to a discourse on not wanting pulluted IM's getting in; another previous post that got me flamed!) and very careful to not get spies and trojans. Paranoid? Maybe...but just really careful anyway.

bartsdadhomer
02-12-2005, 07:51 PM
*cough* some cracks dont like a drive letter other than c *cough*
*cough*that's why some 'program remedies' should be run from the apps folder*cough*

Prescott
02-12-2005, 08:05 PM
on c drive

pctek
02-12-2005, 08:23 PM
Funny, I've never installed a single thing other than Windows on C:.
Never had a problem either.