PDA

View Full Version : mp3 are not recognised by windows media player

netchicken
02-12-2005, 02:21 PM
I don't know if this is just my computer or what, but since I upgraded from the awesome Win98, to Winxp, some of my mps are not recognised by the windows music player. This error pops up, ...

The file you are attempting to play has an extention that is not matched by the file format. Playing the file may result in unexpected behavour.

Actually the error message is quite exciting, what will the unexpected behaviour be, and who will do it? Will I suddenly jump with joy or go crazy?

As it is the following error message appears on trying to play it....

Windows Media player cannot play the file. The player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file.

These files DID work in the past. Any ideas whats wrong.

(BTW sneaky WMP tries to connect to the net after it plays a song now as well. )

I tried winamp as well and it recognises the files as music, ie: they load in window, but they don't play and ther eis no time length on them. Its a pity some of the music were difficult to find (afterall who else listens to Andres Segovia?)...

Speedy Gonzales
02-12-2005, 02:59 PM
Look here (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/player/9series/playererrors.aspx)

See if the error id you're getting appears here

Albert
02-12-2005, 06:21 PM
This is the simplest and most straightforward solution:
Go to microsoft.com and download Microsoft's Windows Media Encoder 9 which can convert your mp3's (just about any of them) into wma files, thus meaning they are able to be played on Windows Media Player.

maccrazy
02-12-2005, 06:50 PM
If Windows Media Player can't play the files, why would it's encoder be able to convert them? Surely they run off the same foundation. I don't think that converting them to WMA is the best solution anyway. Try playing them in iTunes or QuickTime and see if they work. Even if you prefer to use a different application for your music you could always export them again as MP3s (or AAC) and import them into WMP if they do play in either application. :)

Problems like yours are one of the many reasons I don't use Windows. :p

Greg
02-12-2005, 09:01 PM
I think converting to wma should be a last ditch measure, because it's bound to lose at least some quality.

Albert
02-12-2005, 09:34 PM
.wma and MP3 are both compressed forms of media, so it's not good either way. Doesn't matter. And how hard is it to just use Encoder and convert the tracks? If you really want sound quality, stick with CD's.