PDA

View Full Version : DVD writer question

zqwerty
02-12-2005, 01:17 PM
Recently my BTC CD writer stopped working with a burning plastic smell after I tried to erase a CD r/w disk. After performing flawlessly for 2 years it has bitten the dust and I need to replace it. Error message was something like "power control failure". Now will not read or write disks although it is in device manager as operating correctly.

All the talk about DVD writers has made me wonder if I should not get one of these instead. Problem is that my computer is a PentiumPro200s (200mhz hides head in shame). I don't really want to look at DVDs at all ie watching DVD's on my computer which I don't think my video card is good enough for, but burning large amounts of data and making images of my OS's would be good.

Does anyone know if my computer will run a DVD burner or not? Definitely no problems with running the CD writer, ever, until it failed with a hardware fault.

OS's are Win98SE and Win2KPro dual boot.

Greven
02-12-2005, 02:01 PM
Your computer will accept the DVD writer, but I wouldn't try burning DVDs, or even burning CDs at high speed on a 200mhz machine. They are cheap enough that you should buy one that you can move to a new computer when you upgrade even if you can't burn DVDs at the moment.

zqwerty
02-12-2005, 02:14 PM
I never burn at high speed believing possible wrongly that I will get better results and so it has been in the past, never made a coaster due to a writing fault.

Hadn't thought about that possibility when I do upgrade if it doesn't work on the present machine, good thought.

So what is the slowest machine that has been used to burn DVD's at low speed? Anyone know?