PDA

View Full Version : broadband help

polo
01-12-2005, 10:47 PM
im a dial up customer i want to share broadband with my friend. i hav a broadband modem can to person use one account at 2 pcs at same time is possible and legal

bartsdadhomer
01-12-2005, 10:54 PM
at the same address thru the same modem/router, yes
at different addresses it's possible and illegal

Myth
01-12-2005, 10:55 PM
Yes its legal, and very common. I have 4 computers hooked up to the one connection, 2 of which are going at all times (mine and my partners computer).

What kind of modem do you have, I am assuming external, but is it connected to the computer via usb or ethernet cable?

Rob99
01-12-2005, 11:30 PM
6. Internet Services
In relation to our internet services:

* you must not use your account to access the internet from more than one machine at any one time.http://www.ihug.co.nz/legal/tandc.html

Lizard
02-12-2005, 08:19 AM
I think Ihug's T&C about sharing internet is more for dial-up, though I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't make the distinction. In practice, multiple people could run the same dial-up account anywhere around the country. However I found out that if you dialed-up at the same time, one or either would disconnect.

For broadband, where your bandwidth is fixed, surely the ISP is not losing anything if multiple people share the same connection? I mean, you pay for 256k down, and it doesn't matter if 1 or 10 people are downloading, the maximum bandwidth would still only be 256k down, right? If your friend is on the other side of the country, I would think it virtually impossible (or impractical) to share a broadband connection, as it's to a particular phone line, which is unique. If your friend is living next door, then it's possible, either via a clumsy wired setup, or a wireless LAN - this may be the situation IHUG is attempting to cover with it's T&C, but the language they are using is also outlawing the use of multiple machines within a single residence.

Lizard

Regarding the