PDA

View Full Version : PC-Cillin Internet Security killed by MS AntiSpyware

Ranaroo
01-12-2005, 08:22 PM
Evening,

Just updated MS Antispyware as I thought you should, while Laptop was unattended moments later it crashes and would not boot with disk problems. Used Windows CD and is up and running again (not without its problems though) only to find that Trend Micro PC-Cillian Internet Security has misteriously dissappeared and the Windows firewall (was deactivated before)is active on all Network connections. Can not find any trace of Internet Security other than a redundant start menu shortcut.
Anyone else had issues with MS Antispyware?
What to do about Laptop playing up? Reinstall Windows. Have run chkdsk due to disk problems initially.
Running Windows XP and TPC Internet Security 2005.

pctek
01-12-2005, 08:51 PM
Aha, its a plot. MS detected non-MS software in use and corrected the situation.

Seriously, turn it off, reinstall your original firewall and get a new non-MS anti-spyware.

tweak'e
01-12-2005, 09:26 PM
Anyone else had issues with MS Antispyware?
its a BETA product...ie unfinished and is out for some user testing. only users who don't mind their pc being trashed should touch BETA software exspecially one that can delete major bits of your software. also it comes from a company that everyone whinges about their poor software........so WHY are you all even touching it in the first place ! ! !

having said that your problem may not have actually been caused by MSantispyware as it could have multiable causes.

Ranaroo
06-12-2005, 07:40 AM
Thanks guys. Have ended up reinstalling Windows (was having a few other minor problems which it fixed) and definately wont be installing MS Antispyware again!

Am 99% sure that it was this that caused the problem - I hadn't installed any other programs of late, just updated MS Antispyware just moments ago.

And yes, it is Beta product, but here I was thinking that I was doing the right thing...

Cheers.

SurferJoe46
06-12-2005, 08:41 AM
its a BETA product...ie unfinished and is out for some user testing. only users who don't mind their pc being trashed should touch BETA software exspecially one that can delete major bits of your software. also it comes from a company that everyone whinges about their poor software........so WHY are you all even touching it in the first place ! ! !

having said that your problem may not have actually been caused by MSantispyware as it could have multiable causes.

Tweak...I have always read your answers and learn from and appreciated what you have to say.........but I humbly disagree with you on this one.

I have M$ Beta Antispy and it has never caused me any grief...nor to all the other puters I have installed it into for friends. It IS jealous about it's position however, and will negate any other firewalls. I get some conflicts with AVG until I got the settings right..but I totally feel it was the settings in AVG that needed tweaking, not M$'s.

IMHO and certainly NOT telling you that you are totally wrong, just maybe off the mark here a little, I prefer to think it might be as you say: "having said that your problem may not have actually been caused by MSantispyware as it could have multiable causes", is probably the correct caveat.

I did have a time during an install of M$ Beta~Anti that the wheels fell off: it was an illegal copy of XP-Pro, and when I tried to install the Beta, all hell broke loose. I have learned to check the legality of the puter from now on..oh, well..the learning curve goes on and on.

Thanks for not flaming me (unless you do) but I just thought it was important, at least to me, to not so malign the reputation of all things M$.

Again, ty.

tweak'e
06-12-2005, 09:53 AM
its not so much the M$ thing but simply that its a BETA product. wether it hasn't caused you any greif is inmaterial, its simply an unfinished product (exspecialy one that is designed to remove parts of a system) which no average joe person should have on their pc. average joe should have any need to use BETA software and will pay the price for doing so.