PDA

View Full Version : Network Idea

Dannz
28-11-2005, 07:11 PM
Hey Everyone,

This is what i have in mind for a friend of mine.

They have 2 computers - not connected at all and one has no modem.

I was thinking of installing a proxy on the computer with a modem and networking the two computers together with crossover cable.

The only problem is that i (as their technician/administrator) needs to be able to use vnc on both computers. I need a proxy that does NAT. Keep in mind that this is with dialup

Also any other comments on the former part of my plan would be welcome.

Thanks
DanielF :thumbs:

Speedy Gonzales
28-11-2005, 07:55 PM
What do u want to do with these 2 PC's exactly?

Just network them, or network them, and get the networked PC on the net?

If u want to network and get the networked on the net, just get USB wireless adapters, and configure them.

The networked PC, doesnt need a modem to get on the net. It'll use the main PC's modem for access.

Dannz
28-11-2005, 07:57 PM
Sorry i should have explained better - i want to get the networked pc on the internet - i just need a proxy that does NAT

tweak'e
28-11-2005, 08:17 PM
what OS ? most windows OS's have nat (ICS). very few programs have nat AND proxy, one or the other there are 2 different types of connection that dosn't always play nicly together.

Dannz
28-11-2005, 08:18 PM
Windows Xp - ive been googling what about Wingate?

tweak'e
28-11-2005, 08:21 PM
why bother with a paid product. XP ICS works fine. only catch is a lot of free firewalls don't support it.

Dannz
28-11-2005, 08:23 PM
why bother with a paid product. XP ICS works fine. only catch is a lot of free firewalls don't support it.
ICS does NAT? (ie forwarding requests from the internet to networked computers?)

tweak'e
28-11-2005, 08:31 PM
yep that what its there for, Internet Connection Shareing.

Dannz
29-11-2005, 07:17 AM
Forwarding requests as in running a server on one of the network computers - and having the proxy forward the requests for the sites to an internal computer - as far as i know ICS doesnt do that.

drcspy
29-11-2005, 07:38 AM
DUNNO anythign about NAT really but I have setup a system with two pc's on a crossover network, one was xp and the other win98 with the program 'proxy' from www.analogx.com so that the 98 beast could access the net thru the xp as proxy, (it's about the simplest proxy program I've ever come across) anyway also I put vnc on both machines so that a person at a remote location could access the 98 machine THROUGH the xp machine it worked very well..........hope this helps

analogx.com proxy;

http://www.analogx.com/contents/download/network/proxy.htm

tweak'e
29-11-2005, 08:09 AM
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/

Rob99
29-11-2005, 08:33 AM
If your going to do any networking, and your not going wireless, get a switch they are cheap. Makes it a hole lot easier later when ther get Jetsteam, or when other computers need to be added to the network.