PDA

View Full Version : Which Motherboards ?

Tank
27-11-2005, 12:34 PM
I got a new system [celeron 2.4 ] about 12months ago, which at the time i thought it was ok,but i am really kicking myself a bit now as i think my older one [ pent 3/ 733 mhz ] was every bit as strong as my new one, i was only going buy the amount of mhz and therefor wasted my money, i should have asked around,but silly me never.
I have still got my older one as i was keeping it as a spare if anything went wrong but now i am thinking i would be better off getting rid of them both once i have a good strong system up and running.

I do a fair bit of decoding movies, the celeron just dies in the A...when its under a bit of pressure and have to watch out if i have to many programs i have at start up, so i am looking for a decent Motherboard and a good CPU to go with it of coarse.
I suppose Pent 4 is good but have also read that some athlongs[? spell] are pretty strong as well, then i was reading some pc material were it said that they were bringing out dual core ones, so i need some good advise . please.
This it what i should have done before i brought the celeron, but we all make mistakes i suppose.
appreciate any good advise, thanks.
Tank

Greven
27-11-2005, 01:45 PM
The athlon XPs are probably still the best value for money, but there aren't any upgrade paths if you go with athlon XPs. See what you can pick up second hand - it must just about be at end of the 3 year upgrade cycle for businesses & the old pIV 2 Ghz machines would be fine for what you want.

Tank
27-11-2005, 02:23 PM
Ok thanks Greven,
So its Athong XP 's are the good strong ones, so with the way electronics out date themselves very quickly these days, so is there anything that is comming up soon like the dual core, would it be worth waiting for, do you think?
thanks,
Tank

Speedy Gonzales
27-11-2005, 02:34 PM
Dual core mobos and CPU's are already out.

Myth
27-11-2005, 02:43 PM
A friend of mine online just built an Asus a8n (A8N-E I think it was) based system with dual core for his father.
He reckoned it absolutely kicked his own computers butt (Athlon 64)

Tank
27-11-2005, 03:26 PM
Ok, thanks Speedie, i didn't know that.

Thanks Tazz, " kicking a athlon 64 but" sounds impressive, going by what what i have read lately.

Has anyone else had much experience with these dual core ones ?

Thanks
Tank

Battleneter
27-11-2005, 04:45 PM
The athlon XPs are probably still the best value for money, but there aren't any upgrade paths if you go with athlon XPs. See what you can pick up second hand - it must just about be at end of the 3 year upgrade cycle for businesses & the old pIV 22 Ghz machines would be fine for what you want.

I can't imagine why you are recommending AMD XP's, when there is less than $100 difference between a entry level XP and AMD64 platform. The best value is absolutely unarguably low end AMD 64, your talking CHEAPEST!.

Don't buy an already obsolete platform that you will want to upgrade in six month, buy at least a AMD64 3000+ or above.

I would NOT bother with Dual core yet, as there are NO games and few apps that benefit from dual core yet, the extra expense will just sit there doing nothing for a year or so until more games and apps are released, and buy then dual core will be cheaper for a faster processor.

Tank
27-11-2005, 05:38 PM
Thankyou Battleneter,
That makes good sense, so thats the lower end of the market, how would the AMD64+ 3,000 or higher compare with a Pent 4,performance wise ?
thanks

Tank
27-11-2005, 06:50 PM
I have been checking some prices at a online Aus pc store, how does this sound for price ? AMD athlon 64 4,000 + 64 bit cpu 1mb socket 939 w/AMD fan heatsink. $544.50c ???

pctek
27-11-2005, 08:06 PM
I have been checking some prices at a online Aus pc store, how does this sound for price ? AMD athlon 64 4,000 + 64 bit cpu 1mb socket 939 w/AMD fan heatsink. $544.50c ???
Fine if that has been converted to NZ dollars and includes the freight.
If not, not.

Mr Wetzyl
27-11-2005, 08:19 PM
Next year I'm going for an MSI SLI mobo with Athlon64 X2 processor....just 2 upgrades for my existing setup...

DangerousDave
27-11-2005, 08:23 PM
I don't see why everyone complains so much about celerons. I've got a 2.2ghz and overclocked it to 2.5ghz with no problems. Along with a 9600pro its able to push out any game I throw at it (including doom3) to a relatively decent standard. Granted I'm not a hardcore gamer and the machine spends most of its time (attempting) to compile my code. For a machine worth less than a thousand (probably less than $800 due to crappy motherboard) one can't really complain.

- David

Jen
27-11-2005, 08:26 PM
I do a fair bit of decoding movies, the celeron just dies in the A...when its under a bit of pressure and have to watch out if i have to many programs i have at start up, so i am looking for a decent Motherboard and a good CPU to go with it of coarse.How much RAM does the new machine have? If it is struggling, then a cheaper pick-me-up would be to add extra RAM and see how that goes.

Metla
27-11-2005, 08:42 PM
http://au.pricespy.biz/pno_4599.html

And celerons do indeed suck, If you don't think they do then a few hours getting used to the performance of a better CPU will soon open them eyes, well, once you get back to the Celery.

Even as a budget soluton they blow goats, too damn craptastic no matter the price, Save $80 and have a crap machine. Wow.

Greven
27-11-2005, 08:54 PM
As a budget solution, celerons rule. They are perfect for people that only want to run the latest version of Microsoft word, store the photos from their digital camera & browse the net.
It just so happens that it is mainly those people who buy their computers from the warehouse. I would agree though, that noone who is serious about computers should be buying a celeron for themself.

Metla
27-11-2005, 08:58 PM
Semprons spank em.

Same price, Same target market.

Tank
27-11-2005, 10:34 PM
Thanks for your opinions, Jen the celeron has 735 mb ram, i think the shot is to sit back for a couple of years until those dual ones come down in price a fair bit, then i'll grab one of those.
But mean while the celeron is going out the window for sure, and an athlon is comming in.
Thanks all,
Tank

memphis
28-11-2005, 10:43 PM
Just add more ram to your computer for now as it it is the cheapest thing to do,and will help out your cpu and programes etc.

This year is nearly finished and AMD is going to add ddr 2 support next year,so new motherboards will be coming out with better features etc. so it would be better to wait for those to come instead of upgrading to a AMD 64 right now,and then spending more money again to upgrade again.You would be upgrading twice in such a short time and spending so much money.

Just add the ram for now and wait for next year to do a major upgrade.

Changing your motherboard and cpu is a major upgrade and should not be done to hastily without doing research first.

Just trying to save money for you. :thumbs:

Metla
28-11-2005, 10:55 PM
Do you have any idea how short the product cycle is?, by the time the new boards are released there will be another "new format"on paper and announced.

When it comes to computer gear your best bet is to buy the best you can afford on the day, there is always better gear around the corner that 99 ties out of 100 gives a minimal increase for far more expense.

and 768mb is plenty for a Celery, You cant improve the cpu being the choke point by throwing ram at it.

memphis
29-11-2005, 02:12 AM
Yes there is the 1st quater,2nd,3rd,4th quater.When cpus,gpus,mb,etc,are released.And yeah they tell you like a month after you bought their best one that they are going to release a better one!!!

Ok point taken just trying to save the guy some money,thats all.

Thought he might get dissapointed if he found out there was going to be an upgrade next year after just upgradeing his pc at the end of this year and thought he would be better of just waiting a little bit for ddr2 to come to AMD64.

As when I upgraded my graphics card "Yeah they are still going to make new agp graphic cards as it is such a big market and they would loose too much money to abondon agp" "Oh ok then, I'll buy agp then."And I had the money at the time for a new mb and new gpu as well then and got told to stick with agp.

And look whats happend no 7800s for agp. :annoyed:

But if he must upgrade then go nforce 4,7800gt/gtx,AMD64 dual core cpu as it will help to do many things at once which seems to be what he does, not as fast as a single core cpu but better for muti tasking then a single core cpu can do and get 1 gig of ram as it is so cheap and makes a big improvment for games minimum 512mb for BF2 but needs at least 1 gig to run properly some have 2 gig to run it even better and is what they find works the best.And more and more new games will have 512mb as minimum.

Like I said before just trying to help a fellow member of this great site out.

:2cents: