PDA

View Full Version : Partitioning a HD, Win XP

Strommer
26-11-2005, 09:36 AM
Can a hard drive be partitioned after there are lots of programs and data on the HD? Win XP Home. In other words, should the Win XP disk be used to partition only when setting up XP for the first time (and not after XP has been used for awhile)? From memory, I think with the Win XP disk, the Recovery Console is needed to partition - correct?

The HD in question is 120 Gb. I am thinking of leaving a certain amount, say 20 Gb, for Windows and Programs, with the remaining 100 Gb for data / audio / video / photos.

Thanks.

Speedy Gonzales
26-11-2005, 10:00 AM
The only program I know of, that can partition, within windows is Partitionmagic. Normally, I dont think you can.

Arnie
26-11-2005, 10:34 AM
I have used a programme called "bootit" succesfully although I backed up every thing I could first. I do not know too much about it but have had no probs. Someone else may know more about the pros and cons. All programmes worked ok after.

FoxyMX
26-11-2005, 11:35 AM
If you use the Win XP disc to repartition your hard drive you will lose everything on the partition that you resize.

Partition Magic will do non-destructive partitioning but it is not a free program. There are free Linux partitioning apps that you can use but there is a higher element of risk involved.

If you do go ahead and use one make sure you defrag your hard drive thoroughly and backup all your data first.

Strommer
26-11-2005, 12:27 PM
If you use the Win XP disc to repartition your hard drive you will lose everything on the partition that you resize.

Thanks Foxy. When you say "you will lose everything on the partition that you resize", can you interpret this for me.... If I keep Windows and Programs on C drive, 20 Gb, but make a partition of the rest of the HD, 100 Gb, then I assume you mean the 100 Gb will be reformatted or otherwise will lose any data on it. Correct?

Speedy - The Win XP disk can in fact be used for partitioning. I did it earlier this year for a fried after I reformatted his HD. Cannot recall exactly how I did it but I think it was from the Recovery Console.

Speedy Gonzales
26-11-2005, 12:36 PM
Oh well, I guess there's short and long ways of doing things.

Dannz
26-11-2005, 12:50 PM
Partition Magic will do non-destructive partitioning but it is not a free program. There are free Linux partitioning apps that you can use but there is a higher element of risk involved.

There are some good how-to guides for using linux partition managers

Mirddes
26-11-2005, 01:27 PM
i personaly use Qtpart fromwithin the knoppix live distro.
its got an 'OK' gui and offers a seemingly wide range of filesystems including ntfs.

rossnixon
26-11-2005, 08:15 PM
I have used a programme called "bootit" succesfully although I backed up every thing I could first. I do not know too much about it but have had no probs. Someone else may know more about the pros and cons. All programmes worked ok after.

That will be BootItNG, a partition maker resizer and boot manager.
It is shareware, but you can use the partitioning and resizing tools forever.
You make a diskette or CDR with it to boot from. Then cancelling the install leaves you with a menu to do partitioning from. Thats pretty close to how it works - search the net for more info if you like.
This program is superior to Partition Magic, and cheaper *if* you think you need to pay for it. :-)

beama
26-11-2005, 10:33 PM
check ntfsresize (http://mlf.linux.rulez.org/mlf/ezaz/ntfsresize.html) out its free and non destructive.
It also so creates fat32 and linux file file systems and best of all its free