PDA

View Full Version : ADSL and XH1172

Lizard
26-11-2005, 09:29 AM
I'm visiting a friend in New Plymouth and helping him to set up his ADSL connection. He hasn't received notification from the ISP that it is up and running yet, but as I'm only here for the day, we thought we'd chance it and install the modem in case the connection was active but the letter advising us hadn't arrived yet.

The XH1172 from DSE was simplicity to install, but I can't logon to 192.168.1.2 to access the configuration. Could this be because the ADSL is not on stream yet?

Also, the "Link" light on the modem is flashing. Does this also indicate that the ADSL is not on stream?

Cheers

Lizard

EDIT: one more thing. The DSE installer put a new icon on the system tray - called connection monitor. It's got a red line through it, which would suggest that the ADSL is not on, but it's not clear that the modem is not at fault.

drcspy
26-11-2005, 09:45 AM
but I can't logon to 192.168.1.2 to access the configuration. Could this be because the ADSL is not on stream yet?

nothing to do with that.......are you sure it's 192.168.1.2 that is the modem configuration 'page' ...........?.........whatever the correct numbers it's built into the modem and you cna log onto into it whether you are connected to the outside world or not......just make sure you got hte corrrect number

Lizard
26-11-2005, 09:52 AM
the setup guide uses 192.168.1.2, but the USB network connection is on 10.0.0.3 Which is correct?

drcspy
26-11-2005, 09:59 AM
you are right ..........do you have a firewall enabled it could be blocking it.......easiest way to test it is to disable that firewall.......temporarily

Lizard
26-11-2005, 09:53 PM
Tried disabling the firewall, but it made no difference.

The install also put an icon on the desktop - USB endpoint login. When I double-click it, it tries to access the IP address 10.0.0.2, and asks for a username and password. In the user guide, it says to enter ADMIN and PASSWORD, but this doesn't work. Does anybody have any clues about this?

Lizard

Safari
26-11-2005, 10:48 PM
From DSE support site

Q.I have completed installation of my XH1172 but am not able to login to it's configuration pages after clicking the desktop icon. How do I configure my XH1172?

A. We have identified that there may be problems accessing config pages if the XH1172 has not been setup correctly, specifically if the modem is plugged in to the computer before installing the drivers the XH1172 will be set to factory defaults which are not as described in the User Manual. The steps below will allow you to work around this problem:

Double-click the USB Endpoint Login icon on your desktop.
When prompted for username and password, enter admin as the user and epicrouter as the password.
Click Quick Start in left hand panel, click Always On to set the modem to automatically connect to your ISP then click Save to save this change.
Click Wan in the Configuration section in the left hand panel
Set Encapsulation to PPPoA VC-Mux
Set VCI to 100
In Static IP Settings section, delete the existing IP Address and replace with 0.0.0.0
In PPP Settings section, enter the login name and password provided by your ISP (usually in the format username@isp.co.nz but note some ISPs may require you to add .xadsl or similar to this eg username.xadsl@isp.co.nz), consult your ISP for details.
Click Submit to save the changes, then click Save Configuration to apply the changes and restart the modem.

Lizard
27-11-2005, 06:57 AM
From DSE support site

Q.I have completed installation of my XH1172 but am not able to login to it's configuration pages after clicking the desktop icon. How do I configure my XH1172?

A. We have identified that there may be problems accessing config pages if the XH1172 has not been setup correctly, specifically if the modem is plugged in to the computer before installing the drivers the XH1172 will be set to factory defaults which are not as described in the User Manual. The steps below will allow you to work around this problem:

Double-click the USB Endpoint Login icon on your desktop.
When prompted for username and password, enter admin as the user and epicrouter as the password.
Click Quick Start in left hand panel, click Always On to set the modem to automatically connect to your ISP then click Save to save this change.
Click Wan in the Configuration section in the left hand panel
Set Encapsulation to PPPoA VC-Mux
Set VCI to 100
In Static IP Settings section, delete the existing IP Address and replace with 0.0.0.0
In PPP Settings section, enter the login name and password provided by your ISP (usually in the format username@isp.co.nz but note some ISPs may require you to add .xadsl or similar to this eg username.xadsl@isp.co.nz), consult your ISP for details.
Click Submit to save the changes, then click Save Configuration to apply the changes and restart the modem.

Thanks Safari. After my last post, I went to DSE's site and had a snoop around, and found that. The epicrouter password works, but when I click on Quickstart, all the options are greyed out, and the webpage makes a "click" noise like it's constantly reloading the page every few seconds. I'm wondering if, in light of the possibility that the ADSL stream may not be on yet, that it will remain greyed out until the ADSL stream is active?

Lizard

ingers
16-05-2006, 01:18 PM
I am in same predicament as Lizard. Modem appears to be correctly installed but can't connect to my isp which is Farmside.
LAt post was a while ago, any update Lizard...apart from biffing the pc out of the window!

Graham L
16-05-2006, 01:40 PM
Uninstall it. Then follow the instructions in the manual. :D If doing it your way causes it to use factory defaults, it will never agree with the DSE manual, which will not help your friend in the future.

I suspect that if the "ADSL" light on the modem is not lit, there isn't any ADSL on the line.