PDA

View Full Version : Avoiding long lists of e-mail recipients

Robin S_
24-11-2005, 02:43 PM
My wife belongs to an organisation which regularly emails out mesages and notices etc to its membership including some to all 300 members. The secretary presumably uses list-name addressbook entries (ie a single entry to which up to 300 addresses are attached). We like to keep some control over the dispersal of our email addresses and are unhappy that her address is thus distrubuted to about 300 people. An option to avoid this would be for her to set up another address and use it just for this organisation, but that is not particularly convenient.

I have investigated using Bcc: instead of To: for the mass mailings but this is not very satisfactory as with this method each individual's name is not shown on his/her copy of the email, so where a couple share a single email address, for instance, the intended recipient is not shown.

Is there a way to cause the Bcc facility, say, to print the individual recipients' names on their copies, or some other way of achieving this outcome? We use Eudora client but presumably this facility would need to reside in the sender's client, which is almost certainly Outlook.

Any simple solutions, anyone?

TIA.

PS Another possible way would be to enter a list name in the To: facility and cause it to print the individual recipient name on each copy. Can this be done?

PaulD
24-11-2005, 03:07 PM
I have investigated using Bcc: instead of To: for the mass mailings but this is not very satisfactory as with this method each individual's name is not shown on his/her copy of the email, so where a couple share a single email address, for instance, the intended recipient is not shown.

As well as using BCC any organisation should be using the From and Subject fields to make it obvious where the email is from if it doesn't want its emails deleted. You can always mark anything opened by mistake as "Unread"

Oxie
24-11-2005, 03:36 PM
Robin S_

There are several issues here. Firstly, you need to notify the organisation and point out to them that they must not send out an email with all recipients in the TO or CC fields. It is only proper that they use the BCC field.

You and your partner should have separate email addresses. Ask your ISP for another. That way there is no confusion as to who the email is for when it arrives.

If you don't want separate email addresses then get your wife to sign up for a web-based email address, eg GMail, which is free, and use that address for the newsletters.

Oxie (Lyn)

Speedy Gonzales
24-11-2005, 03:44 PM
Or depending on which ISP you're with, if you have like 5 free email accounts or something, with your net access, create another email addy/username on the ISP's home page.

And if u do get an Gmail account, it can still be forwarded to your normal email anyway.

Then if you wanted separate emails, you could make a rule, and make separate inboxes. So, emails go to 2 different inboxes.

Safari
24-11-2005, 03:56 PM
I think you will find that Robin was not referring to himself when he said "where a couple share a single email address" so that issue is not a problem for him.
I believe he was referring to couples sharing a single email address that are on the mail out list and receiving the newsletter.

Graham L
24-11-2005, 04:41 PM
I think that in this case the problem is not very real. Couples might not be too keen on having the other partner reading email, but this is a newsletter, sent to 300 people, not private loveletters from supernumary significant others. :D

It might be different if the organisation was a support group for battered wives (or husbands), but a newsletter would be the least of their problems.

pctek
24-11-2005, 08:28 PM
Theres a program you can download and use for this. You add all the email names to it and it mails out and the recipients see the same as if you had used BCC but its sort of autmated. Can't remember the name - I've asked my friend - he uses it.
Will post back when he replies...

Its free...

Strommer
24-11-2005, 08:49 PM
For the last 8 years I have been using Pegasus Mail, mainly because it has some terrific features, including Distribution Lists where you can add virtually an unlimited number of email addresses and the recipients only see whatever (single address) you choose for the "Reply" address.

Pegasus Mail is free and is developed right here in NZ, Dunedin in fact.

Sure, you will have to learn how to set it up, but it is really not that hard and there are enough Pegasus Mail users here on PF1 that can assist you.

BTW, you can just use Pegasus for the big mailouts, and keep Outlook or whatever you are using for your daily email usage.

Robin S_
24-11-2005, 11:04 PM
Safari was right on! Pctek - I would be interested if you can find out the name of that prog. Steve L - I had wondered about Pegasus, but I suspect there is little hope of getting the organisation to use a different mail client, even if it were free.
I was hoping that there was a relatively small change of procedure/settings that could be used with the existing email client that would have the desired effect.
Fingers crossed that someone can come up with a simple clever trick.

EX-WESTY
24-11-2005, 11:24 PM
NZ Post and 300 envelopes! :D

Strommer
25-11-2005, 07:08 AM
Robin, the easiest way is to use Yahoo Groups.
Simply set up a group and select "Newsletter", rather than an email list where people send in posts and reply to each other.

The thing is, YOU can set up this group NOW and then all the club secretary, or whoever, has to do is send the email to the YahooGroup email address... and like magic, all 300+ members receive the newsletters. You don't even need to ask the approval of the club to set it up - just think of a relevant name and put in 2 or 3 emaill addresses and try it yourself. Once it is working, inform the secretary that it is there to use if they want. If they don't like the name you chose, then delete the group and start again.

No program to download and install on a specific computer. YahooGroups can be used from any computer, even if the secretary is at an overseas conference. I have several email lists with 1000+ members with YahooGroups, and also have used it for Newsletter purposes.

Go here: http://groups.yahoo.com/

pctek
25-11-2005, 11:02 AM
He says:

"If I remember rightly, it's called YAMS (Yet Another Mail Sender). I
can't remember where I got it from."

godfather
25-11-2005, 11:25 AM
http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/Email_Tools/Mail_Clients/YAMS.html

Robin S_
25-11-2005, 07:47 PM
Thank you Steve, Pctek and Godfather. I will follow up those leads, although I am not hopeful that the organisation will be receptive to installing and learning new software, however simple it might be. Using Bcc should really be satisfactory but persuading them to accept even that much of a change may be a challenge.

pctek
26-11-2005, 07:00 AM
Because they are too lazy to do it is not a reason for publishing others email addresses all over the place for everyone else to see. You might point that out.
Anyway I've seen YAMS, you just add all your existing addresses into it under a heading - say "newsletter" or something then you just mail to that next time. Not hard.

PaulD
26-11-2005, 09:23 AM
Don't forget that YAMS or similar will mean that each email will be sent from the PC individually. No big deal for text but adding a 1MB PDF attachment x 300 will put a crimp in the monthly allocation.

Strommer
26-11-2005, 09:27 AM
although I am not hopeful that the organisation will be receptive to installing and learning new software, however simple it might be.

Thats why you should go to YahooGroups.

Robin, just go on over and start a group. It is soooo easy. Add a few addresses (like your own and the secretary's). Then when it is set up, show the secretary. Just do it without asking permission because if you ask they will probably say NO because non-geeks usually freak out with anything new like this.

Remember, all they have to do is to email their newsletter to the YahooGroups email address. Cannot be easier, and they can do it from any computer anywhere anytime.

Robin S_
26-11-2005, 10:05 PM
Thanks again, Steve. YahooGroups seems like the best bet so far. I haven't had a chance to check it out yet but it sounds good.