PDA

View Full Version : Yahoo Music Store in NZ

dwnz
24-11-2005, 08:42 AM
Hey,
Can i use the Yahoo Music store in NZ? I have been trying to download an album, and when i press buy (after giving it my credit card details and things) it says there was an error, error code 8.

Does anyone know why this could be happening, or another store that i can download music from?

Thanks
Daniel

gum digger
24-11-2005, 10:10 AM
hmm. these things are dodgy man. Do all the basics, such as writing them an email call them if they have helpline etc.

dwnz
24-11-2005, 10:21 AM
Doesnt matter any more anyway, i found the bands site and ordered a cd off there....costed more, but at least ill have a cd.

Daniel

Albert
02-12-2005, 08:56 PM
First email the Helpline to see what is the problem. In the meantime, here are sites you can try:
-ITunes Music Store (Apple)
-digiRAMA Music Store (Windows)
-www.mp3.com
You can also google the term ''music store'' and you will get so many search results. There shouldn't be a problem in getting what u want.

imarubberducky
03-12-2005, 03:55 PM
Good idea, all music stores in NZ currently use Windows DRM, so they can get f**ked, IMO

elmo
03-12-2005, 04:35 PM
your stupid if you buy music these days. and Yess windows media is gay because microsoft are full of **** with the drm, it probably does not work on half the mp3 players out there. www.limewire.com

imarubberducky
03-12-2005, 05:11 PM
I don't think its stupid to buy music, supporting your favourite artists allows them to continue making music, and allows record companies to sign up more artists. We don't live in the land of fairies, where people can just play music, without any financial support. However record companies are slowing driving away this moral support by using copy protection and DRM, and they have only themselves to blame.

maccrazy
03-12-2005, 05:46 PM
wever record companies are slowing driving away this moral support by using copy protection and DRM, and they have only themselves to blame.Ah yes, Sony rings a bell. :p I understand the need for DRM but really, pirates are still going to get around it. The songs I've downloaded from iTunes have DRM though and I haven't really got any issues with it. I can put the songs on a few CDs, my iPod and a few computers without running into difficulty. :)

elmo
15-12-2005, 08:17 PM
They can make money from concerts, record companies and shops get nearly all of the money from the songs/albums.

Metla
15-12-2005, 09:21 PM
Record stores get a tiny cut, and the band/artist get far less, smetimes a few cents, usually nothing.

If a band gets a record deal they don't get given money to make an album, they get lent the money to make an album, All costs right down to lunch for the workers are billed to the band, as is all promotions and promotional material.And albums aren't cheap to make and then promote into the charts, I couldn't put a figure on it as I don't know squat but consider it somewhere in the hundreds of thousands to get a song/artist chartbound, and millions for the big guns.

When the album goes on sale the record takes its cut from every sale, that takes the bands cut untill the debt is paid off, and in todays world where many artists don't write the songs or music they are nothing more then hired guns, paid a wage, then dropped when the initial sales have been made.

And if the record company is cunning they write up the contract so they own the music, or wait untill you have had a gutfull of them and they allow you to break your contract on the condition they own all your albums made while under contract. Bands must be gutted to lose their main asset, cast adrift after 20 years, broke and having to tour for the next decade to ever diminishing crowds to get some funds in the bank.

I find it interesting to read interviews from bands that were around in the 80's and they are asked how big there largest music related cheque was, most never saw anything apart from their salary paid by management, of if they did get a royalty payment it was for a few thousand and 4 or 5 years after the record had done its dash.

If you want to suport bands, Go see them live and buy a T-Shirt at the venue, Buying albums helps in that it indicates to the industry they make make some more money off them, but the bands aren't gonna get rich unless they sell millions of copies......