PDA

View Full Version : Frequent Windows Crashes

Twelvevolts
21-11-2005, 08:56 PM
I've had four crashes in the last three months - the last two a few days apart. Windows won't boot, even with the various recovery disks I have. Previously have had error messages (not the same one twice yet) but this time it gets so far in the boot process and it dies (I'm using another computer to write this).

Can access the drive with Knoppix and the files are all the their and can be moved on to a USB Flash drive.

I'd have thought the hard drive was the first possible problem but can't understand why everything looks ok through Knoppix.

Any suggested areas to investigate to stop these problems happening - I'll try a another drive but what other things are likely contenders.

Metla
21-11-2005, 08:58 PM
Ram
PSU
Motherboard

Dodgy wall socket.

Harddrives tend to give a few warning signs and then stop working, Garbled data is more the result of the system crashing, not the root cause.

Big John
21-11-2005, 09:22 PM
I've had four crashes in the last three months - the last two a few days apart. Windows won't boot, even with the various recovery disks I have. Previously have had error messages (not the same one twice yet) but this time it gets so far in the boot process and it dies (I'm using another computer to write this).

Any suggested areas to investigate to stop these problems happening - I'll try a another drive but what other things are likely contenders.

RAM - Check first
Faulty connections - Check all leads and reseat any cards
Power-Supply
CPU too hot

Twelvevolts
22-11-2005, 06:21 PM
I think I can probably eliminate the hard drive from the suspects but some futher investigation is pointing to a faulty KVM (one of those old manual ones) switch as at least a contributor if not the cause. Is it possible this could be the cause? I'm gonna give the whole computer a good clean as dust could certainly be another suspect, followed by the motherboard. For now it is up and running again though so we'll see how long it lasts if I take the KVM switch out of play and get a new one.