PDA

View Full Version : How to fix dead computer?

zahmad
21-11-2005, 11:52 AM
Hi. my friend has a dead pc. He needs help! He wants to backup all his data from his two hard drives, without running windows, as it doesn't even startup (only until loading windows screen)! Is there any free programs? He desperatlly needs help. His pc details are IntelP4 2.8ghz, 512mbram, windows xp home, 40gb hard drives'. Cheers, any help will be appreciated! :help:

gibler
21-11-2005, 12:01 PM
Well if it were me I'd probably just remove the drives and plug them into working system and go from there ...

Alternative bootable CDs:

Knoppix as a rescue CD (http://www.troubleshooters.com/linux/knoppix/knoppix_rescue.htm)

BartPE (http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/)

Have you tried Safe Mode?

Myth
21-11-2005, 12:02 PM
Why not fix the Windows error first? What error is it showing?

There are ways of doing what you want... certain PE discs, Linux Livecds as well.. but would be probably easier to figure out whats wrong with his computer first

pctek
21-11-2005, 12:32 PM
it doesn't even startup (only until loading windows screen)!
What??? It doesn't load at all or it does? Do you mean it crashes before Windows actually starts - in which case its not dead.

Metla
21-11-2005, 01:03 PM
Safe mode will most probally get you to desktop, From there turning off everything in startup will probally get a full boot to a usable desktop.

zahmad
21-11-2005, 01:53 PM
It's not exactly dead, it runs until the wndows xp loading screen, and then it goes to the setup screen. I also forgot to mention that he has frequently done system restore before (once maybe every 4-5 months). One more thing to mention is that he has used system restore to fix another problem, therefore creating this problem. He just want to know an easy solution to backing up his 40gb hard drives(that he can do himself), with very low cost, and then wants to do a fresh install of windows. :help:

zahmad
21-11-2005, 01:55 PM
Safe mode will most probally get you to desktop, From there turning off everything in startup will probally get a full boot to a usable desktop.
P.S How do u start in safe mode?

quarry
21-11-2005, 01:56 PM
P.S How do u start in safe mode?

F8 at startup

Speedy Gonzales
21-11-2005, 01:57 PM
He could connect it as a slave to a working computer.

Then backup / copy whatever. ie: files that have been downloaded (but not installed).

BUT, there's no point backing up programs that have already been installed.

They may not work after the hdd has been formatted.

zahmad
22-11-2005, 06:54 AM
Any other way? Cheers :D

Speedy Gonzales
22-11-2005, 07:00 AM
Well does safe mode work? Will it boot into safe mode?

If it does, then go to start/run and type in msconfig.

See whats in the startup tab. And tell us, whats there.

If you cant boot into XP normally, or get into XP using safe mode, there's not much else you can do, besides hooking it up to a working computer, as a slave.

FoxyMX
22-11-2005, 07:51 AM
Any other way?
For goodness sake, how many other ways do you want?? Haven't the suggestions given worked?

You could at least start providing some feedback on what you have tried and what didn't work if you want people to help you, not just keep asking for "more suggestions".

zahmad
22-11-2005, 09:51 AM
For goodness sake, how many other ways do you want?? Haven't the suggestions given worked?

You could at least start providing some feedback on what you have tried and what didn't work if you want people to help you, not just keep asking for "more suggestions".

Sorry,but i just wanted to know all the available options before trying, the safe mode doesn't work!!!

Cicero
22-11-2005, 11:29 AM
Are you tapping f8 at start up?

Metla
22-11-2005, 11:35 AM
Safe mode won't work if the system had fallen over during an install of XP, And going by what they have said this maybe the case.

The cause mabe severly munted software or a hardware fault. Which leaves transferring the HD to another machine to transfer the required files and then format/reload the sucker once its back in its natural home.

zahmad
22-11-2005, 02:29 PM
Yes, Metla is right. When the problems started occuring, he tries to 'upgrade' windows home edtion using the original windows cd (only reinstalls windows files). When he tried it, it stopped installing at 'installing utensils', so thefore it went up to half way and stopped. He tried again and again, but it didn't work. So whenever he opens his computer, it goes back to the installing screen! He really needs help!

quarry
22-11-2005, 02:51 PM
next step: call for a tech. if you don't even know afe mode, then get someone to do it, - it's gonna be too hard. i once had a friend call from overseas how to install xp etc - i said forget it, pay someone.

i-gordon
22-11-2005, 04:01 PM
Buy a new harddrive. Remove the old harddrive install windows fresh on the new drive. When is up and running install the old drive as a slave. Restart windows transfer the files to be saved to your new drive. Reformat the old drive and use it as a backup.

zahmad
22-11-2005, 04:09 PM
IS there anu way, where he can take the hard drive out and then connect it to another computer via usb? He doesn't want to buy anoather hardrive becuase he doesn't have that kind of money. All help is appreciated!

Speedy Gonzales
22-11-2005, 04:12 PM
IS there anu way, where he can take the hard drive out and then connect it to another computer via usb? He doesn't want to buy anoather hardrive becuase he doesn't have that kind of money. All help is appreciated!

Unless someone u know has a USB 2 enclosure / external case, then no.

zahmad
23-11-2005, 08:21 AM
IS there any other way he can connect it through usb? I believe u can do that for external hardrives. PLease help.

Speedy Gonzales
23-11-2005, 08:28 AM
IS there any other way he can connect it through usb? I believe u can do that for external hardrives. PLease help.

There's firewire, but you would still need the external case, and an onboard firewire port. Or a PCI firewire card.

Billy T
23-11-2005, 08:30 AM

Not without spending money, and that might be almost as much as a new HDD.

It doesn't sound like you have enough knowledge or skills to do this repair, so it would probably be safer, cheaper and faster to take it to a tech who could do a temporary data shift to an empty HDD, reformat the old one, reload the OS and programs (don't forget the programs, I hope he has the disks) then transfer the data back.

Keeping on saying "Please Help" will not overcome a lack of experience or money. As pointed out already, if you don't know what safe mode is, your experience is probably very limited. Do you have any mutual friends who have the necessary expertise?

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Edit: Reflecting on the overall content of this thread, if his data is on a second HDD, it won't be affected by anything you do to the first drive, so nothing would prevent you from reformatting the first drive and reinstalling the OS & programs.

If the data is on both HDDs, then borrowing another PC and installing the OS drive as a slave will allow removal of the data without any cost at all.

zahmad
23-11-2005, 08:34 AM
Ok, ok. Now I get that he will probably have to get it repaired by professional. Thanks for all your help!

quarry
23-11-2005, 02:37 PM
don't take it personnally - it's the old kiwi way of trying to do things yourself, but theres always a limit & you got to know your limit. i needed a new tv aerial & a cable to my office - called an expert, fix my car - went to my mechanic. i wouldnt have kept on calling my mechanic how to do it or gone to a mechanic forum - its wasting time & money. but its good you were trying to help & made an effort to do a bit of research. i had a major job last week - a client's son's friend tried to fix their pc & fried it - 2 years of family video editing, unbacked, gone...

zahmad
23-11-2005, 07:00 PM
don't take it personnally - it's the old kiwi way of trying to do things yourself, but theres always a limit & you got to know your limit. i needed a new tv aerial & a cable to my office - called an expert, fix my car - went to my mechanic. i wouldnt have kept on calling my mechanic how to do it or gone to a mechanic forum - its wasting time & money. but its good you were trying to help & made an effort to do a bit of research. i had a major job last week - a client's son's friend tried to fix their pc & fried it - 2 years of family video editing, unbacked, gone...
I've just become a kiwi this year! Anyway, can he buy any plugs/wires or something that can enables his hardrive to be pluged onto another computer via an usb port. He just wants to give it a go himself before going to a professional pc tech. Thanks to u all.

pctek
23-11-2005, 07:26 PM
Anyway, can he buy any plugs/wires or something that can enables his hardrive to be pluged onto another computer via an usb port.

Yes.

http://www.qmb.co.nz/p.aspx?103497

zahmad
23-11-2005, 07:49 PM
Yes.

http://www.qmb.co.nz/p.aspx?103497
Cheers PCtech, thats a lot of help, one more qustion, if he does plug in his hardrive to another computer via usb, will there be any problems of it recognising the hardrive. Can he he just open it and go into his documents etc? Cheers.