PDA

View Full Version : smartcam vga not loading

music_man
20-11-2005, 05:45 PM
Hi

We have a Smartcam VGA camera and I installed the software for it, then plugged it into the usb drive after - like it said. I go to open the program to use it and it says it is not there.

Any ideas?

Speedy Gonzales
20-11-2005, 06:22 PM
Is there a mode switch or something on it? If there is, switch / flick it over.

music_man
20-11-2005, 07:14 PM
There is no mode thing, it has two buttons and they don't do anything when pressed. There is a small screen at the back which has "PC" on it.

Speedy Gonzales
20-11-2005, 07:36 PM
What USB drive? Or do you mean a USB port? Is Smartcam the brand?

Or is it something like a sony, or something else?

Have u read the manual, if it came with one?

music_man
20-11-2005, 07:38 PM
Don't have a manual. USB port. It is called SmartCam VGAs from ArcSoft.

beama
20-11-2005, 07:40 PM
You dont metion your operating system so I'll presume Xp
Plug it to the usb port then try the add hardware wizard. Hopefully it will find the device and install the drivers, have the cdrom in the drive when you do this (you may have to tell the hardware wizard to look there for the drivers).

Sometimes xp can be Bl***y stubbon when it comes to device detection.
Also software install sometimes does not mean driver install, strange I know but some manufacturers do this.

Also another trick is to copy the contents of the install cd to the Hard drive of the machine then install from there ( should be able to install from cd, I know, but we are talking about computers here :lol: )

music_man
20-11-2005, 07:44 PM
Cheers. xp Does not detect it and it doesn't even come up with a balloon. I have installed the software. It comes with programs too, like "ArcSoft VideoImpression 1.6" but it doesn't detect it. That program comes up with a "Cannot find VFW Driver!" error.

music_man
20-11-2005, 07:45 PM
I just explored the CD and looked under Driver - WinXP and found nothing. Why have it there then!

Speedy Gonzales
20-11-2005, 07:46 PM
What programs are we talking about? That cant detect it.

Arcsoft Photo Impression, or Arcsoft Video Impression?

If u have XP, does an icon appear in my computer for the camera?

Or open the cd. If there's a setup.exe file, use this to install the drivers. (Unless it autoruns and lets u click on an icon to install the drivers).

What happens when u press this PC button, whatever it is?

music_man
20-11-2005, 07:51 PM
In PhotoImpression it says that it failed to connect to device. The computer is running xp pro. There is no icon. I then explored the CD and looked under driver and double clicked setup.exe. It did some maintenance and the error stopped but nothing came up.

VideoImpression isn't going either.

Speedy Gonzales
20-11-2005, 07:58 PM
Unplug the camera.

Reboot, then put the camera back in a spare USB port. After u reboot.

See what happens then.

Sometimes, its better (for some USB devices) to install the drivers, reboot, then plug the USB device in, after u reboot.

Does this camera plug into a docking station, like some cameras?? ie: Like some Kodak/HP digital cameras.

music_man
20-11-2005, 08:09 PM
I did a reboot and put it into another drive. This time the bubble came up but it couldn't install it. Not even the CD driver fodler had any inf files in them.

Speedy Gonzales
20-11-2005, 08:27 PM
I would pull the cam out again, uninstall the drivers in add/remove programs, if they show here.

Reboot. Reinstall the drivers, reboot, then plug the cam in again.

Then see what happens, if nothing happens this time, there must be something, somewhere on that cam, to turn the thing on.

where did u get this cam from? Trademe, or something? Why it doesnt have a manual?

music_man
20-11-2005, 08:30 PM
Hi

I did a restart and a fresh install. It works now.

Thanks very much for your help!

Speedy Gonzales
20-11-2005, 08:33 PM
Good to hear :thumbs: