PDA

View Full Version : Secure D Drive

TeejayR
20-11-2005, 04:27 PM
Hi - I have a 40gb disk partitioned into 2 20gb drives - the machine runs XP pro and the partitions are noth NTFS

The PC is use by myself and 2 of my stepdaughters and I would like to somehow prohibit them from using the D drive but when I click the Properties and Sharing Tab the "Make this folder private" option is grayed out.

Thanks

berryb
20-11-2005, 05:08 PM
[QUOTE=TeejayR]Hi - I have a 40gb disk partitioned into 2 20gb drives - the machine runs XP pro and the partitions are noth NTFS

Do you mean they are both NTFS or not NTFS? Your typo could go both ways?

robsonde
20-11-2005, 05:33 PM
look into truecrypt.

encrypt the drive.

Speedy Gonzales
20-11-2005, 05:41 PM
As it says in the help file.

To make your folders private

Open My Computer.

Double-click the drive where Windows is installed (usually drive (C), unless you have more than one drive on your computer).

If the contents of the drive are hidden, under System Tasks, click Show the contents of this drive.

Double-click the Documents and Settings folder.

Double-click your user folder.

Right-click any folder in your user profile, and then click Properties.

On the Sharing tab, select the Make this folder private so that only I have access to it check box.

Notes

To open My Computer, click Start, and then click My Computer.

This option is only available for folders included in your user profile. Folders in your user profile include My Documents and its subfolders, Desktop, Start Menu, Cookies, and Favorites.

If you do not make these folders private, they are available to everyone who uses your computer.

When you make a folder private, all of its subfolders are private as well. For example, when you make My Documents private, you also make My Music and My Pictures private. When you share a folder, you also share all of its subfolders unless you make them private.

You cannot make your folders private if your drive is not formatted as NTFS

TeejayR
21-11-2005, 04:44 AM
Thanks to all - both drives are NTFS - it just seemed a little strange to me that the operating system should know the User that created a folder so there should be an option to protect it.

I guess that will be sold to users as an enhancement in a later version of Windows.

I think I'll have to follow berryb's advice and encrpt the drive - I was going to give XP's own encryption utility a go but I'll check out Truecrypt first.

berryb
21-11-2005, 01:20 PM
If your other users have their own logon account then XP Pro will do what you want. Go to My Compter/Tools/Options and click on the view tab. Scroll to the bottom and untick "Use simple file sharing" and click OK. Now right click on the drive that only you can have access to and go to the security tab. Add your user account with full permissions and remove the other permissions. Make sure you add yourself first or you will not have permssion either. Now you should be able to access the drive with your logon but the other will not with their logon.

If you all use the same logon account then you will have to encrypt the drive and password it.

TeejayR
21-11-2005, 05:51 PM
Thanx berryb that's done the trick

berryb
22-11-2005, 09:01 AM
Thanx berryb that's done the trick

Happy to help.