PDA

View Full Version : windows 98 on second disk

steamman
19-11-2005, 07:02 AM
Hi I would like to install win 98 onto a second disk.My setup is as follows. I have too HDDs namely C: and D: C.being my win xp and D holding what I call storage. both being of 30 gb. I understand that to install win 98, onto a dual boot system, the win 98 must or should be the 1st disk (as with partitioning). and the second partition housing win xp.I should like to install win 98 to my storage disk without having to change label letters.and still be able to keep the storage facility. Does the fact that having two disks mean that the second O.S.is possible to install without partitioning, or if not can I ask as to how the install can be done. I dont want to upset the win xp setup if at all possible.

nw3
19-11-2005, 08:18 AM
I previously installed 2 os's on my computer by changing the boot sequence in the bios, swapping between my 2 hard disks both containing the os. This works only if c: and d: are separate physical drives. Let me know if it works for you.

Make sure you have a compatible file system or you won't be able to access files on the other drive.

Graham L
19-11-2005, 01:09 PM
It's likely to be a bit messy. It's much easier to start with a W98 computer and add XP. :D

I'd be inclined to partition that second drive ... preferably after making a full backup (and testing that it's all readable ;) ) of the storage stuff. Otherwise, if you defragment it so that all the "storage" is in the front of the disk, XP will still automatically call the first partition D: or E: -- whichever it is now -- (so any links it has will still work if you restore the backup to that one).

You should be OK if you make them both "primary" partitions, with only the 98 partition marked as bootable. If you then temporarily remove the first drive (for safety) you should be able to do a standard installation.

After that, you can use the BIOS boot switch as NW3 suggests, (but W98 will call its boot partition "C:" ; I'm not sure what the XP one will be .. :D -- it depends on which IDE interface your CD drive is on. )

You would probably be best to edit BOOT.INI so the XP boot management can let you decide which to boot. That's what gets done if you install Xp after an earlier version.

godfather
19-11-2005, 01:51 PM
One simple way around this is to install a removeable HDD tray, and buy a spare tray.

Install the Tray and its caddy in place of the existing C:, (uses one 5.25 front bay so you need a spare one).
Install a second HDD into the spare tray, to boot the OS of your choice just swap trays (with the PC powered down) and power up.

All PCs in this place have their HDD(s) in removeable trays. They are cheap and save messing about and endangering data. If I want to boot into Linux, I simply install a spare HDD tray and drive (I have 4 spares) and load a distro onto it as an example.

drcspy
20-11-2005, 06:37 AM
remove xp drive.......partition the other drive with one primary active dos partiton for the 98 o/s and one logical partition for the data......make sure you got all your data in the second (d: ) partition..........then install 98 to the first partition..........then install a program called bootUS .......then plug BOTH drives back in set bios to boot from the 98 drive first..........when it's booted up ......configure bootUS which should recognize the other drive...........after that you'll get a boot menu at startup ........I have done this plenty of times with installing 98 Or ME onto a partition AFTER xp has been installed .......(same harddrive) and it works well I'm assuming it'll work with different physical drives.......