PDA

View Full Version : IPAQ Bluetooth Internet

Jams
18-11-2005, 01:55 AM
Hey guys,

just picked up an HP IPAQ hx4700 PDA with windows mobile 2003 on it..

now, my PC has a Bluetooth dongle on it, and the unit itself has Bluetooth on it. what i want to do is use my PC as a server so i can use my PDA to access the net, is this possible ?, i have got so far as for my PDA asking for a Username, Password and Domain to log into my PC to use it as an access point for the net, but my PC only has a Username, no password and is not a member of any domain, so i just enter my Username, and leave everything blank, but it comes back saying my username and password are wrong. what username and password is it asking for ? .....

am i doin something wrong ? or do i have to buy a Wifi dongle ? :( as my unit also has WiFi.

anyone upto play with this sort of thing ?

cheers
Jams

Speedy Gonzales
18-11-2005, 07:15 AM
Umm the username and password, its asking for, maybe for the net, not for windows. If you're on dialup. Are you on dialup?

If the PC only has bluetooth, it can't be used as an access point.

If the PC has WI-FI, is it onboard or a PCI card, or a USB key dongle?

Are you sure you've got WI-FI?? WI-FI isn't the same as Bluetooth. They're different.

If the IPAQ does support WI-FI, I would get a PCI card / USB WI-FI dongle.

For the PC.

It might have a better signal, than bluetooth.

Speedy Gonzales
18-11-2005, 07:39 AM
And if you do decide to use WI-FI / wireless, NOT all Wireless PCI cards, can be used as access points.

I can't say I've seen a PCI card, that can also be used as an access point.

Access points are usually standalone. And separate from the wireless PCI cards.

There are SOME USB dongles, that can also act as access points tho.

Jams
18-11-2005, 08:36 AM
Cheers for your reply.

Yea, my PDA does have WiFi.

ive read tutorials on how to get Internet charing going via Bluetooth, but they are all for models of PDAs different from mine.

im on broadband. Supposed to be a 2mb connection, but telecom re-connected me as a 256k connection. GASP!. and hae to wait 30 days before they can change my plan.

Cheers