PDA

View Full Version : Networking help

Nalla
17-11-2005, 05:50 PM
I have read what I can lay my hands on but I am confused.
I have 2 PC,s on XP Home about 1 metre apart, both are connected to the internet via a Dynalink RTA300 ADSL modem. The modem has 4 Lan ports and I have one connected to PC 1 and a different Lan port connected to PC 2. They both access the broadband through that modem. I want to also be able to swap files between the PC,s. I have read that I need a hub to connect the PC,s together, so have I got this right?
I get one connection from Lan 1 to a hub and then connect my 2 PC,s to that hub? If that is right is there anything I should look out for in buying a hub?
The Dynalink modem has a built in 10/100 Mbps 4 port switch, is that the same as a hub?

Myth
17-11-2005, 06:01 PM
I want to also be able to swap files between the PC,s. I have read that I need a hub to connect the PC,s together, so have I got this right?That is not correct, your current setup will work (on a hardware level). Now you just have to set it up on the software level (enable file/print sharing and so on)

The Dynalink modem has a built in 10/100 Mbps 4 port switch, is that the same as a hub?Close, but not quite, does much the same job, just more intelligently (minimises data collision)