PDA

View Full Version : DVD Rom error Compaq Presario 2100 Notebook

Rob99
17-11-2005, 03:02 PM
Trying to get a Compaq Presario 2100 Notebook reinstalled, alas I think the DVD Rom is rooted.

The device show up in windows everywhere, and tells me there are no problems with the device.

When I put any disk in {wait} then try to access the contents I get the pop-up

D:\is not accessible.

The request could not be performed because of an I/O error.

BIOS only has the option to set boot order, when the ROM drive is set to the top it should boot there first.

When booting with the Compac Windows CD, my XP Pro, or Mandrake 10 it just misses the boot from CD and loads Windows.:(

Have tried Esc, F2, F8, Del on boot, Esc is the one for selecting the boot device, I select the CD and it ignores and just loads windows.

When I put a disc in the drive you can here it spin up OK but then nothing.

What do you guys reccon, is the drive poked?

Graham L
17-11-2005, 03:12 PM
The Windows Hardware Manager message "This device is working normally" is a LIE. It means only that it has detected an interface to a device. The hardware doesn't necessarily work. Hardware manager hasn't tested it.

I think your drive is broken. :D

Rob99
17-11-2005, 03:19 PM
Cool, thats what I was hoping to hear.

I'm going to crack this old cow open and poke around with the wires I hope, test then offer a replacement drive.

I take it these things are avaliable, never realy had a notebook apart before.

Graham L
18-11-2005, 03:28 PM
It can be a bit tricky to dismantle a laptop in such a way that it can be reassembled. ;)

Draw pictures as you go, and tape the screws to the drawing, so yoiu get them back in the right places. Screws might be hidden. (Under rubber plugs/feet is a favourite). Some models have lots of screws, some which shouldn't be removed, just to make things interesting. (Sometimes external screws to be removed have little arrows pointing at them).

The case will have little moulded on clips/hooks holding the parts together, as well as the screws which go through to the metal internals. The best tool for finding and releasing them is your thumbnail, or a piece of stiff plastic.

The thin ribbon cables are fragile, and their connectors are worse. Some connectors have a mechanism to grip the cable, others just use a stiffener on the cable so the cable can be pulled in and pushed in. The mechanism actuator needs to be pulled up at both ends of the PCB connector for the cable to be removed.

Good luck. :cool: