PDA

View Full Version : anybody getting cgi-bin with their ISP web space?

elpenguino
15-11-2005, 03:25 PM
Hi peeps, I'm new in town.

I'm on maxnet and I wanted to experiment with cgi-bin and perl on my web-space. I have been told cgi-bin is not available to me, as I am a lowly "free" web space user ( free? what's the $50 / month for ?).

Anybody getting cgi-bin on their web space and which ISP do you use?

I spose my other option is to host it on a server myself. It's no traffic muncher, just a few photos to mess around with.

Cheers,
El P.

Rob99
15-11-2005, 03:29 PM
The free webspace with your ISP will be very limited, you are best off paying for a host if you want all the features like a control panel and cgi.

elpenguino
15-11-2005, 04:05 PM
Hi,

it sure is limited. I was trying to get a handle on whether other ISPs are just as limited or is it Maxnet that is.

Cheers,
El P

Rob99
15-11-2005, 04:06 PM
The few I've seen are all about the same, just differing in the amount of space.

Graham L
15-11-2005, 04:42 PM
If you want to play with cgi-bin and perl, make a web server on your home computer and play with that. Such things are a real security problem so it's no wonder that ISPs won't allow it on free webspace.

You are paying the $50 a month for your Internet connection. The free web space can be provided with very little support cost. As long as there are no "features" like cgi-bin allowed. ;)

elpenguino
15-11-2005, 05:04 PM
I reckon. I'll be doing something like that as soon as I get my IPCOP up and running.

I don;t want to get too OT but ( what the hey!) , the "free" web space is surely as "free" as the steak knives that come with my abdominizer/electric muscle stimulator/penis pump, don;t you all think ?

El P.