PDA

View Full Version : avg letting in virus?

supergran
14-11-2005, 08:32 AM
A couple of weeks ago my puter went to a tech under extended warranty to get cd rom replaced, and more ram added, and since it come back, I have had numerous errors, things not working, avg not updating, etc. I took it back, and he reckons that avg lets through viruses, and sure enough, he installed Nod32 and there were trojans. Now, I run a virus check with avg, up to date, the day before I took it to him, and it was clean. As I also run Spy Bot, who he says is useless also.

The upshot is that every program I run, or folder I open, the cpu usage goes straight to 100% usage. According to Nod, there are now multiple errors or damaged files in my pc. Has anyone else heard of this sort of coincidence, avg letting through multiple virus' when it is always completetly up to date? And does it mean I am going to have to reformat.

I am running a Compaq, XP Home service pack 1, with avg and zone alarm.
And of course, with me buying a 'supermarket' puter, as it has been called, it does not come with discs, but I did burn the back ups as soon as I got the pc.

Any help greatly appreciated, as I dont' know enough to be able to argue with this guy, but it was going great when it went to his shop, now is going like crap. And wont run heaps of programs without it telling me this or that file is damaged. LIke when I try to instal the latest Spy bot, and msn messenger wont run at all, and it wouldnt' let me update or reinstall avg, etc.

Ps to this thread is that the computer guy is being really helpful, but just wanted some heads up from other techs, and if they same it can happen, I will accept that, just seemed weird to me.

JJJJJ
14-11-2005, 08:38 AM
I wouldn't trust a free A/V program as far as I could kick it. Take the plunge and buy McAffee or Norton A/V

And Spybot doesn't do much good either. It's highly rated by those who use freeware but as far as I can see it only ever finds old stuff.

tweak'e
14-11-2005, 08:39 AM
he installed Nod32 and there were trojans.
what trojens where found ?

was there anything unusual in the program list in ZA ?

as far as other faults go i wonder if they was a problem with the new ram and files/registry got corrupted.

Metla
14-11-2005, 08:48 AM
NOD32 can find multiple items that AVG will miss.

supergran
14-11-2005, 08:48 AM
Thanks Jack, that is what he said.

Tweake, without going back to my puter and checking the nod report log, I can't remember what it was, but at first I thought it was the ram conflicting too, but he changed that, and it is still doing the same thing.

Thanks and I will check back on my puter, and let you know, but haven't been using it much, as scared of the way the cpu keeps hitting 100%. I dont' want to cook it. But now I see that it is possibly not something he has done, and according to Jack, avg isn't foolproof, I may just have to take his word.

It is easy to blame new tech, rather than the puter I guess, but as it is one I hadn't used, I just wasn't happy.

Ps, nothing extra found in za, but he did suggest getting sp2 on quickly, and using windows firewall, but with the puter the way it is at present, it is a waste of time trying to put in sp2

supergran
14-11-2005, 08:51 AM
Thanks Metla, maybe I will just have to trust the expert, cos I sure am not one of them.

Metla
14-11-2005, 09:05 AM
What may have happened is you had some malicious code that sunk its claws deep into the system files, The tech installed Nod32 which just kills AVG when it comes to detecting nasties, removed the code but left the infected files damagaed. No antivirus program can repair the damage, just remove the filth.

Ive seen it happen, Or more rightly, I have done it more then once, Hit the system with the heavy tools and she turns to custard....

tweak'e
14-11-2005, 09:09 AM
if there was nothing in ZA list then i doubt it was a trojen. its comman to have a AV pick up left overs that other tools (AV, antispyware) have left behind. thats not normally a problem as the leftovers don't actually do anything, it just LOOKS like your infected with something when all it is the AV picking up on a leftover or a cleaned file.

as far as " avg letting through multiple virus " go that sounds like the usuall BS. every one has their own favorites and dislike. looks like this person just hates AVG.
considering the person advice of "getting sp2 on quickly, and using windows firewall" i would be inclined to keep away from any such tech who recommends windows firewall exspecially when you allready have a better one installed!

free AV's are okish on home pc's, a paid pro one is normally better.

but at first I thought it was the ram conflicting too, but he changed that, and it is still doing the same thing sometimes a conflicting ram will corupt files/registry and cause all sorts or werid havoc. once its done , it done. changeing the ram won't fix the corupt files. reinstall the OS and programs.

BTW whats the specs of the pc? (motherboard exspecially).

tweak'e
14-11-2005, 09:14 AM
Ive seen it happen, Or more rightly, I have done it more then once, Hit the system with the heavy tools and she turns to custard....
exactly right. virus's and malware are far better writen these days, you don't notice they are runing on your pc. years ago most spyware or virus made your pc run like crap so it was noticed easly, not any more. very comman for the removal to bust a pc tho most techs would know to fix the pc after a cleanup.

drcspy
14-11-2005, 10:09 AM
I wouldn't trust a free A/V program as far as I could kick it. Take the plunge and buy McAffee or Norton A/V

SIGH............i HATE repeating myself but as for NORTON............

DONT EVER BUY ITit's RUBBISH stupid statement by our esteemed jjjjj............i have on NUMEROUS occasions used avg to remove trojans from systems which had the most up-to-date versions of norton on the system and norton was saying 'no virus no nasties' .........but avg found them.....and my own viewing of taskmanager showed them..........as METLA says tho: NOD32 is the best bar none ........but that generalisation of jjjjj's..........was just SILLY......and INNACURATE

Overdrive_5000
14-11-2005, 10:20 AM
I second that

PaulD
14-11-2005, 10:43 AM
You second what?

I've used AVG for over 6 years without any problems. Just to see if I've become infested with all the things that it supposedly misses I'll try the NOD32 trial.

NOD32 is NZ $70 for the 1st year just so the cost is highlighted. First impression, if Esset are so good why does an 8MB download need a 4MB update? Why can't they keep the install file more current.

drcspy
14-11-2005, 10:46 AM
i have come across the occasional thing that ONLY nod32 would remove.....

Metla
14-11-2005, 10:54 AM
Just keep in mind that not everyone needs the higher capabilities of NOD32, And no program no matter how highly regarded will please everyone.

If you don't like Nod32 then don't use it, But the fact the initial update is largish doesn't make the app kick any less arse.

Hmmm.....The update file I have for AVG is 5.6mb.....

Overdrive_5000
14-11-2005, 11:46 AM
You second what?

drcspys comment that was before mine about AVG

supergran
14-11-2005, 12:24 PM
Ok now I feel like an idiot, cos I can't find where it tells me what sort of motherboard I have. As for the trojan, all I can find in the log is 'Win32/TrojanDropper.small.JH or ones the same but some finish with ff etc.

As for Nortons, I run it for over 2 years, and hated how it slowed down the puter so much. NO, not going back there. LOL

Now Nod won't update, it keeps giving me error messages as well. Oh sheesh, just as I think I have one thing fixed, something else gives me grief.

Nero won't install, it come with the new dvd player that he installed, but he didn't install the software, so when I tried to do that, it goes so far and stops with an error message.
That reformat is getting closer, and I just don't want to go there!!!!!!!

But thanks for your comments everyone, I knew by coming here that I would get conflicting advise, but it still helps me a little.

supergran
14-11-2005, 12:34 PM
Ok, AMD Athlon XP 2400 with 479 ram, available, is that what you wanted Tweake.

I run CCleaner, and come up with heaps of errors by running the 'issues' tab, but didn't fix, cos wasn't sure what I was doing, but besides the normal shortcut missing ones, there are also a lot of 'activex/com issues' and 'missing shared ddl's, and 'open with application issues', one of them being REGISTER.EXE "%1" but oh, ok, that is with Backweb, sorry, talking aloud here and reading.

Ok, that is it for now, have to fly to work, thanks for your help.

tweak'e
14-11-2005, 12:44 PM
close enough, they are a few motherboards that are very fussy and its comman to get the wrong ram for and cause similar problems. yours isn't the one i was thinking of.

backup all data, format and reinstall :(

PaulD
14-11-2005, 12:46 PM
Just keep in mind that not everyone needs the higher capabilities of NOD32, And no program no matter how highly regarded will please everyone.

If you don't like Nod32 then don't use it, But the fact the initial update is largish doesn't make the app kick any less arse.

Hmmm.....The update file I have for AVG is 5.6mb.....

Well the NOD scan produced 1 joke file "slippery mouse" that other companies don't regard as a real virus, 1 probable false positive that no other AV detects and 1 low threat adware file. So at this stage I don't see the higher capabilities as being worth it.

My update comment applied to any company that doesn't update their install files with the latest software. The latest Grisoft AVG installer shouln't need a big update as it contains the same version as the updater.

Metla
14-11-2005, 12:49 PM
Take it back and raise a stink, Surely installing an optical drive also means installing the software and making sure it works.....or have I been doing it wrong all these years?, Hell, I even show people how to use Nero when they pick up their comp if they are unfamilier with it.

If the system started to go downhill as he worked on it he should have called you in and advised what futher work would be required, Not just hand it back and take the payola.

ferrite
14-11-2005, 04:06 PM
i did a reformat on my compaq only took about 2 hours well worth it if u got embedded viruses ect i would also install service pack 2 strieght after. :o

personthingy
14-11-2005, 05:51 PM
i did a reformat on my compaq only took about 2 hours well worth it if u got embedded viruses ect i would also install service pack 2 strieght after. :oBut did you update your AVG VIRUS DEFINITIONS
before going to dodgy sites like www.microsoft.com ? I hope you did!

Yeah i remember the days when i used to run doze, and reformatt/reinstall was so often the easy answer to multiple viri infection. These days, its either that i've done excessive blind tweaking, or i'm trying a new system that gets me doing the same.

supergran
14-11-2005, 06:13 PM
Metla, I did take it back, and stayed there when he supposedly fixed it the second time, and it still isn't right, so I rung him again this morning, and he said he will pick someone's brain and get back to me, but I am still waiting. It still hits 100% cpu usage, every time I open a folder. Oh well, thanks everyone, looks like format time.

At least everything on my puter is always backed up, which is how I realised the cd burner wasn't working properly, which is what started all this crap.

ferrite
14-11-2005, 06:44 PM
hey gran might pay to visit the compaq hp web site type in ure model number they will have a list of updates for ure pc along with a list of known problems with there el cheapo parts ie firmware update for the optical drive and probly bios as well

bartsdadhomer
14-11-2005, 06:48 PM

And Spybot doesn't do much good either. It's highly rated by those who use freeware but as far as I can see it only ever finds old stuff.

utter rubbish

pctek
14-11-2005, 06:49 PM
A couple of weeks ago my puter went to a tech under extended warranty to get cd rom replaced, and more ram added, and since it come back, I have had numerous errors, things not working, avg not updating, etc. I took it back, and he reckons that avg lets through viruses, I also run Spy Bot, who he says is useless also.
it was going great when it went to his shop, now is going like crap.
the computer guy is being really helpful,
No he isn't. And he isn't even a tech. A wannabe tech more like.
He stuffed it.
Reformat and do a reinstall and get your money back.

supergran
14-11-2005, 06:50 PM
I will have a look, but wouldn't have the foggiest what to do with a bios upgrade, but I am pretty sure it is going to be a reformat, and I am most likely going to try ccleaner shortly, and if that doesn't work, I will HAVE to reformat, as the puter most likely won't go. LOL

personthingy
14-11-2005, 07:00 PM
At least everything on my puter is always backed up, which is how I realised the cd burner wasn't working properly, which is what started all this crap.
One hopes you'll be checking the back-up files for viri as well. It could save a LOT of grief

Battleneter
14-11-2005, 07:03 PM
For a start I would have been asking for screen shots or at least a log of the so called trojans found, I don't trust what he said either.

Secondly there is NOT a single anti virus program that will detect ALL viruses. One computer "may" be infected with a virus AVG does not recognise and maybe Norton's does, but that situation can be reversed. I have seen examples of this many times over the years. That's kinda why I find many articles that rate anti virus programs rather funny, it can be luck of the draw what is tested.

Use a AV that doesn't slow your PC down to much and has a decent reputation Nod32/Panda/AVG, could never recommend Norton's (slow piece of crap). NO one is 100% protected ever, however I find the situation originally posted suspicious.

ferrite
14-11-2005, 07:29 PM
if u give us the model number of ure pc and how much ram u have now i will see what i can find out

supergran
14-11-2005, 07:46 PM
S5020AN and is now running 512 ram, I asked him to add another 256 from the 256 that was previously in it.

And yes, I will certainly be running av before I install off the cd where all my back ups are, and as for the trojan, it is in a program that I haven't opened the zip file yet, that I transferred from my old puter 2 years ago, which was a screen saver pic type thing, that if I remember rightly come from the wallpaper site webshots. And it was virus checked before I installed on this puter.

ferrite
14-11-2005, 08:45 PM
hi gran there are a few drivers u may want to update before installing sp2 the main one probly invidia drivers ,no new bios since 2003 worth a read anyway ..http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?lc=en&lang=en&cc=us&product=366185&dlc=en&os=228 recovery of ure original system is quite simple, its just a follow the prompts

supergran
14-11-2005, 09:50 PM
Thanks for that Ferrite, and I found the pages about reformat, and copied them off, just in case. As for the invidia drivers, what are they under, as I looked at the link you left, and couldn't find them. Dial up is crap when you have to download, so am glad that I have sp2 and old microsoft updates on cd.
Found what you meant about the invidea drivers, but I am running a S3 Pro savage graphics card so guess I shouldn't need that.

ferrite
14-11-2005, 10:05 PM
when u do ure reinstall everything reverts back to factory installed hardware tho, so i would take ure new graphix card and any new hard ware out first.and reinstall it all over sp2.have fun its a good learning curve

mikebartnz
15-11-2005, 12:24 PM

What a load of rubbish. Norton's would certainly be the last one I would put on my PC. If you want to pay Nod32 is deffinately the best but AVG does very well for a free one. As for Spybot there is nothing wrong with it but you should also use another one as none pick up everything.
That tech doesn't sound very good.
ProcessExplorer (http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/ProcessExplorer.html) is a good program for finding out what is running. Much better than the Windows one.

JJJJJ
15-11-2005, 12:31 PM
What a load of rubbish. Norton's would certainly be the last one I would put on my PC. If you want to pay Nod32 is deffinately the best but AVG does very well for a free one. As for Spybot there is nothing wrong with it but you should also use another one as none pick up everything.
That tech doesn't sound very good.
ProcessExplorer (http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/ProcessExplorer.html) is a good program for finding out what is running. Much better than the Windows one.

Well NAV is the first thing that goes on my comp. after XP.
You've got your opinion and I've got mine.

And I don't think much of spybot either :thumbs:

pctek
15-11-2005, 03:07 PM

How many systems do you do repairs on per week?
I see examples of Nortons problems a LOT. Its a dog - even if some people haven't yet any any issues with it. Yet.

JJJJJ
15-11-2005, 03:17 PM
How many systems do you do repairs on per week?
I see examples of Nortons problems a LOT. Its a dog - even if some people haven't yet any any issues with it. Yet.

It may be a dog and I admit it is heavy on resources. But in my experience it does the job it is designed to do.
Which is more than can be said for most,if not all, of the rest.

Read the tests on A/V software that appear in all computer mags on a regular basis. Why is NAV always "editors choice", year after year?

Rob99
15-11-2005, 03:21 PM
Why is NAV always "editors choice", year after year?Sponsorship

If you want real results you will need to goto http://www.virusbtn.com/index or http://www.westcoastlabs.org/

drcspy
15-11-2005, 03:44 PM
It may be a dog and I admit it is heavy on resources. But in my experience it does the job it is designed to do.

well in my experience it doesn't and I would NEVER install norton if i had the choice it's garbage and you even pay for it........and i'm a tech .....and over the last say 5 years have repaired countless systems which had norton on them and its USELESS

supergran
15-11-2005, 10:13 PM
Thank you everybody for all your suggestions, and comments, and today when I tried to reformat, I got errors after errors, so took it back again, he changed ram, I come home, tried again to reformat, no joy, but finally, after another visit, and being told it was most likely my hard drive, I suggested he took out his new ram, left my old ram, and we would work from there. Yep, he did put another new ram in, with my old one, and hey presto, I could reformat. Mind you, I wasn't leaving the shop this time without it being fixed. What a lot of hacking around. If he had of listened two weeks ago when I told him it was compatability issues, it would of been a lot less hassle.

I am NOT a tech, but I have picked up lots from here, and of course picked your brains more than once, but I would of thought that ram compatability, once you know what the mother board is, shouldn't of been too hard. Obviously I was wrong.

The first thing I did once reformatted, is remove Nortons, I do not like it now, and I didn't like it before, mainly cos of the way it slowed my puter, and at present have AVG again, and if I get financial, I will certainly look at Nod32, as I was impressed with what it did, without slowing things down.

Ferrite, the graphics card that I said about, is factory in my puter. The only new thing is the dvd burner he replaced my dead cd rom with, and the ram.

I now also have sp2 installed, so hopefully, I will have another 19 months of reasonably trouble free computing. LOL

Metla
15-11-2005, 10:33 PM
Should have hit him with your handback, and you should have put a brick in your handbag before visiting him.

Re-reading your initial post it seems your comp developed the issue as soon as he put the new ram in and before he installed/ran Nod32?

Common sense would (should) dictate to the guy immediatly that he had bunged in a dodgy stick of ram, Insert ram> machine starts to suck> Revisit the ram....Immediatly.

I wonder if he tried to install Nero and simply dismissed it when it went belly up.

supergran
16-11-2005, 10:58 AM
Yes it was as soon as he installed the dvd burner, and ram.
If I carried a handbag Metla, that would of been a great idea! LOL
As for him installing Nero, well it still isn't installed, as I have been getting this updated, ie virus, firewall, newest firefox, printer, etc, and haven't even tried. But that will be done tonight, I hope. So yes, my guess is as good as yours, tried to install it, got the errors, and thought, oops, too hard basket, give it back. Next time this needs work, I will be asking for good techs references around here before it goes anywhere.

At least I learnt a big lesson, if no one knows know him, or can recommend his work, he doesn't get to know my puter.

pctek
16-11-2005, 01:52 PM
Lacking the handbag - You could have made him eat the dodgy ram.

mikebartnz
16-11-2005, 03:28 PM

And I don't think much of spybot either :thumbs:
As you said you have your opinion :badpc: