PDA

View Full Version : Audio but no Video

guarro
14-11-2005, 08:41 AM
Hello there.

Recently my PC has been unable to play any video images. Regardless of whether the clip is using media player, real, quick time or anything else, when the clip plays there is audio but no video.

The strange thing is that the first frame of the clip is always viewable (e.g when trying to play back a video I have recoreded), but as soon as I click Ďplayí the screen goes black. The clip clearly does play, as there is audio.

This is now a real pain, as it means I canít watch any web footage (BBC news etc.), or do any video editing (Iíve got Canopus Letís Edit installed). I've had the problem a few months now, but it's only now become a major issue as I want to start doing some video editing again.

I've tried changing the 'performance' options in WMP to 'some video acceleration', which does now allow some things to play in WMP, but this hasn't helped anything else.

Hope this makes sense. Any ideas what my problem might be? Many thanks.

Dave

Renmoo
14-11-2005, 10:49 AM
Does your problem apply to every format of video (e.g. avi, mpg, mp4 etc.)?

Cheers :)

guarro
14-11-2005, 11:12 AM
Mmm - not sure.

After downloading some 'codecs' following advice elsewhere, internet video files seem to be playing ok, in both media player and real player (well, the BBC web site anyway, which is the only when I've checked so far), but I don't know what format these are.

However I still can't get any video from anything on my PC. In particular .mpg clips in Photshop and .av clips and .dvc files within Canopus Let's Edit are still just giving me a black screen. But the .wmv windows movie sample file works fine. I just don't get it. Any ideas?

Speedy Gonzales
14-11-2005, 11:23 AM
If you have Nero / Nerovision installed, try Nerovision. It deals with most video formats.

If you're into video editing.

Prescott
14-11-2005, 12:09 PM
codec problem.

guarro
19-11-2005, 04:50 AM
If you have Nero / Nerovision installed, try Nerovision. It deals with most video formats.

If you're into video editing.

No, I don't have this.

There has been a development though. WMP is now fine, and I can play internet video without a problem. The problem now just seems to be with playing clips in Photoshop and in Canopus Let's Edit (although the same clips play fine in WMP). For a moment yesterday Phostopshop was playing clips just fine, but today back to square one. Any more ideas guys? Ta.

lazydog
19-11-2005, 08:51 AM
Do you need drivers for your canopus card(if using the pci model) and are they the latest ones?
Arr,just read ya last post again. Sounds like a clash of codecs. I had a similar problem a while ago. Check the canopus forums.

guarro
21-11-2005, 05:40 AM
Do you need drivers for your canopus card(if using the pci model) and are they the latest ones?
Arr,just read ya last post again. Sounds like a clash of codecs. I had a similar problem a while ago. Check the canopus forums.

Thnaks. Found the Canopus forum - hope I get lucky there!