PDA

View Full Version : undisclosed-recipients: ; <undisclosed-recipients: ;>

Eric Richards
12-11-2005, 08:25 AM
deleted

Eric Richards
12-11-2005, 08:27 AM
I got a Email from a friend the had a “undisclosed-recipients” in the “To:” field so I decided to try it out, using copy and paste I quickly made up this short Email (seen below) and put a few friends Email address in the “Bcc:” soif any of them were “junk mail addicts” they would not have more Email address to add to their list.

http://www.biosecurity.govt.nz/pests-diseases/animals/invasive-ants/index.htm

Some ants bite, sting, spray formic acid and can carry bacteria
Additionally, the nuisance value of ant in the home can also be significant.

download the short fact sheets
Invasive Ants Factsheet [PDF versionPDF 219k]
Big headed ants (fact sheet) [PDF versionPDF 137k]

But when I sent it off it would not go from Outlook express Version 5 , because the Email address is not valid, is there a typing error in there?
I had to put in my own Email address, The trouble is I end up with a Email copy to be downloaded next time I go to check my mail, when they get their copy it will read “To: From Eric”
Otherwise is there a real “undisclosed-recipients “ Email address that goes to the “Email big black hole”

Myth
12-11-2005, 08:47 AM
This is how its done... undisclosed recipient emails (http://email.about.com/cs/netiquettetips/qt/et100603.htm)

Pauline
12-11-2005, 09:12 AM
Hi,
Using 'BCC', you don't put anything in the 'To' line. I use this way often.This is a bit different to what Heinz says. At their end it shows 'Undisclosed Recipients' in the 'To' line. I also use OE 5.

One easy way I have discovered to do this is to open a new message box, click on the 'BCC' button & this opens your address book, click on each name & click on 'BCC' under message recipients, when you've got all the names in click OK.
Pauline.

Eric Richards
12-11-2005, 11:05 AM
Hi,
Using 'BCC', you don't put anything in the 'To' line. I use this way often.This is a bit different to what Heinz says. At their end it shows 'Undisclosed Recipients' in the 'To' line. I also use OE 5.

Pauline.

Yes you are right Pauline, but I read somewhere, it is best to full the "To:" with something other some mail programs will display everything in the "Bcc:" line.

Nomad
12-11-2005, 11:57 AM
Is there a way to include the Undisclosed Recipients link that has NO email address? If you double click onto "Undisclosed Recipients" it will just say "Undisclosed Recipients" without a hyperlink.

Thanks.

pctek
12-11-2005, 02:24 PM
Is there a way to include the Undisclosed Recipients link that has NO email address? If you double click onto "Undisclosed Recipients" it will just say "Undisclosed Recipients" without a hyperlink.

Thanks.
What?
You mean from a mail you received - thats the idea, its not supposed to show the email addresses, but they were there.

Nomad
12-11-2005, 03:18 PM
Is there a different way? I know 2 ways.

1. Pop nothing in TO: but pop the pple's email addresses in the BCC: field.

2. Pop your own email address and labelled as "Undisclosed Recipients" at the TO: field. Then put the other pple's email addy at the BCC field.

However is it possible when you open the email. You see TO: "Undisclosed Recipients" but when you double click it it does not say "myself@hotmail.com", all it say is "Undisclosed Recipients" with no "@" sign or any email address format.

Thanks.

Pauline
12-11-2005, 05:24 PM
Hi Eric,
Do you know which email programmes are ones that show the addresses in the BCC lines?

Here I was thinking I was doing OK & now maybe I'm not. Most people I know use OE.

Pauline.

Eric Richards
13-11-2005, 06:46 AM
Hi Eric,
Do you know which email programmes are ones that show the addresses in the BCC lines?

Pauline.

No no, What I read is, if the "To:" entry is not filled in, the receiver of the Email will see all the "Bcc" entrys somewhere in the Email, on some Email programs.

Thank you and everyone else, it appears I was right up to speed in the first place, Oh I just remembered, some people can send off one Email to a lot of people, so a copy goes to John and another one to me, when I get mine it says "To: Eric" when John gets his it says "To:John" instead of everyone getting a Email that says "To: undisclosed-recipients: ;"

I think that has been the question I have always wanted to find the answer to, I dont think in all the thousands of Emails I have seen, I can not remember seeing a "To: undisclosed-recipients: ;" and once about eight years ago I was a member of a UK Email group were each member sent a Email off to every other member of the group.

Barnzy
13-11-2005, 08:57 PM
If you leave the TO field blank and use BCC the recipient sees "<undisclosed recipients>" Some people use this as a keyword setting for a spam filter. If you put, say, Ericks' Friends, in the TO field and BCC the rest, the mail bounces one copy for the TO addy but delivers to the BCC addys. They see "To- Ericks friends" or whatever you want them to see, in the TO field.
Tricky Huh? :-}

There is also a thread on Chat about this very thing <Collecting email addresses>
http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?t=63437&page=2&pp=10

Eric Richards
14-11-2005, 06:23 AM
If you leave the TO field blank and use BCC the recipient sees "<undisclosed recipients>" Some people use this as a keyword setting for a spam filter. If you put, say, Ericks' Friends, in the TO field and BCC the rest, the mail bounces one copy for the TO addy but delivers to the BCC addys. They see "To- Ericks friends" or whatever you want them to see, in the TO field.
Tricky Huh? :-}

There is also a thread on Chat about this very thing <Collecting email addresses>
http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?t=63437&page=2&pp=10

Yes well I have sort of done that many times, I get sick of deleteing the bounce back, you would of thought Microsoft would of have it all sused out be now,................[me thinking]................. [%^*?#%! BANG] maybe not, some of the problems with Microsoft software, I have seen "Your mouse is not connected" , at boot up, Give'us a break I just tested with a DOS program the mouse works fine.

I must say because this thread has not solved anything, this thread has become more of a rant than a fix.

Pauline
14-11-2005, 06:53 AM
Hi Eric,

Thank you and everyone else, it appears I was right up to speed in the first place, Oh I just remembered, some people can send off one Email to a lot of people, so a copy goes to John and another one to me, when I get mine it says "To: Eric" when John gets his it says "To:John" instead of everyone getting a Email that says "To: undisclosed-recipients: ;"

After doing a little research I think it depends on what email programme the other person uses as to whether or not you get 'personalised' To fields.
OE does not do this & am not sure which ones do, probably the paid ones.
If I'm wrong, which is very possible, it would be good to get the right answers.
Pauline.

Pauline
14-11-2005, 08:02 AM
One thing I have discovered is that not all servers treat the BCC field as expected, some will strip out the addresses listed in it before delivery, therefore hiding the other recipients as you wanted & some servers wont.
Pauline.

Barnzy
14-11-2005, 08:09 AM
Yes well I have sort of done that many times, I get sick of deleteing the bounce back,

Well if you send that many mass eMails that you "get sick of deleting the bounce back" I suggest you stop spamming. :waughh: